Those of you with a Monstercraftsman brat kit, how did you mount your rear fender?

PickleSlice

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Before I order a weld on strut kit to mount my front fender as a rear, I thought I'd ask how others have mounted theirs.

The front fender, after some modifications, I think will look very nice.

Here's what I'm working with.

Attachments

• IMG_20150907_181431.jpg
    IMG_20150907_181431.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 1,070
Before I order a weld on strut kit to mount my front fender as a rear, I thought I'd ask how others have mounted theirs.
The front fender, after some modifications, I think will look very nice.
Here's what I'm working with.

Hi 'Slice,
here's what I'd do:-
mount the front fender pointing backwards as a "hugger" to move with the swingarm.
Hide the fender's mounting plates behind the shocks and run extension plates from the fender mounts to between the lower shock mount and the swingarm.
Add some kinda bracket from the end of the fender to the swingarm's pivot piece to stop it rotating.
BTW
you'll need something to replace the front fender on the forks because the fender is also a fork brace and your bike won't be happy without one.
I'd go with a TKAT brace because I like the way they look but the bent tube brace works too.
Or, fukkit! Keep the front fender on the forks and find another one for the rear.
&FWIW, those open drains will be a bitch to tune for anything except WOT.
Some kinda muffler or other backpressure adding device will ease the tuning woes.

15804558611_b0946b89fa_b.jpg

13175217323_e36da893ba_b.jpg

13175384024_5b4b8255f3_b.jpg

Worked a treat for about 1000miles, then the bracket on the swingarm split on me!:banghead::banghead:

Redid it with a brace across the bend, that didn't last long either. Going to have to do a bigger bracket.

Worked a treat for about 1000miles, then the bracket on the swingarm split on me!:banghead::banghead:
Redid it with a brace across the bend, that didn't last long either. Going to have to do a bigger bracket.

Hi wolfie,
no need for a brace, remake the bracket out of thicker material and put a mebbe 1/2" radius bend in it instead of that nasty stress-raising sharp corner.

I found an old dirtbike fender that worked for me. I welded a side mount with a rubber grommetsidestrutr.jpg

finishedmount.JPG

strutrear.jpg

fittingmount.JPGI think it came out pretty nice.painted brat.jpg

I hate the way my pics post. It started out as a stock '72 and I wanted to keep the factory paint theme

Back