Thought I had serious problems.....

jmink427

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I thought I had serious problems on the ride home this afternoon.... I got about a 2 miles from the house and heard an awful noise...I'm like :wtf:! So I continue a bit bike seems to be running fine and smooth.... :confused:... I' continue a little further and I think this kinda sounds like its coming from the engine.. The more I listen the more my mind is trying to diagnose the issue... Sounds like a chain making contact... I'm thinking great, cam chain guides or something... I go on and make it home and as soon as I stop the noise stops... Motor sounds good.... I crack the throttle and the engine still sounds great.... So I ride around the yard and the noise comes back.......stop and it quit... O.k is something other than the engine......... He's what I found...........Broken drive chain guard :doh: I'll take that over anything to do with the cam chain.... :thumbsup:

temporary-97.jpg

Yeah pretty common, I have seen several of them welded just above the back bolt. Glad it didn't get wrapped up in the chain somehow.

You did have a serious problem, but an easy to fix one. My rear bolt came out somewhere in AK and I just threw the chain guard away and never looked back. Makes it easier to take care of the chain with it not there. Had to take the damn wheel off to get it off of there completely. Made me stay an extra day at the campsite, but met a cool chick because of that, and so it goes.

Back