threaded park plug sleeve?

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Going over my project today. I got it running for the first time yesterday which is great.

I went to change the spark plugs and when I took out the left side plug I noticed it had this threaded sleeve on it. I checked the spark plug hole and it someone obviously re-tapped it to a larger width.

The sleeve looks like the picture below. Although it is black.

spark plug sleeve.jpg

As I see it I have 4 options. Give your opinion if you can.

1) put sleeve on new spark plug and ignore problem

2) take insert, use red loctite and screw into hole. then put anti-seize on spark plug threads and never ever over tighten

3) check to see if my helicoil inserts have the same outside threading. If they do I can put one of those in the hole then add red loctite and use that special tapered punch to widen the insert so it sinks its teach into the aluminum.

4) Find a spark plug which is wider and has the same length.

Thoughts?

Best,
Adam

Cross threading spark plugs is a really dumb thing to do, but seems to happen quite often.

Never use anti-sieze or any other gook on spark plug threads. You want bare threads, so that you can turn the plugs in with your fingers. Your fingers have the "feel" so that you know its threading in properly.

Anti-sieze makes the threads gummy, which makes it real easy to cross thread. Then when it gets hard to turn, they use a bigger wrench and cross threading is the result.

Use only 14 ft-lbs to tighten spark plugs.

Back