Throttle Cable Help

hutch08

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm running a set of Keihins on my XS chop and having some issues with the throttle cable.

1. the cable is wayyyy to long
2. i'm using a harley aftermarket throttle for my 1" bars, when hooked up the carb slides are already half lifted, and the cables are adjusted all the way.

I tried cutting some length off of the outer casing to make it work, when doing so I ruined the cable.. :doh:

So my question is, where can i get a 2-1 cable that will work with the keihins and also work with my harley throttle.

Heres the throttle im using:

64012-K1-3.jpg

64012-K1-2.jpg

It was only cheap so i dont care of it involves getting another throttle to make this setup work.

Someone help me out!

Look at Mr.Riggs carb thread. He found a replacement cable at a dirt bike shop I believe.

Call Mike at 650Central, he has various 2-1 throttle cables and even a 1" throttle that looks a lot like what you have. He will be able to tell you what you need.

So I talked with MMM, he may have what I need....

Can anyone verify that a vm34 cable will %100 work with the keihins?

If you need a 100% guarantee; I can shit in a box and write 100% guaranteed on it. Trust me I have the time.

If Riggs says he's pretty sure and if MMM says he's pretty sure... Then I would trust them. They are both pretty well established in the modding of XS's

Want a 100% no shit guarantee? Here ya go--go to www.flandersco.com . I guarantee 100% that Flanders has all the materials--conduit (AKA cover), cable (AKA wire), ferrules (metal caps on conduit), ends, solder, and flux--to make any cable your heart desires. All you have to know is how long to make the cable, how to measure your ends and wire diameter with a caliper so you can choose the right stuff, how much free length to allow for, and the following procedures.

Use a cutoff wheel on a rotary tool to cut the conduit, square off the end with a file, and attach the ferrules (if required). Clean an end and the end of the cable with acetone and slip the end on the cable, with the countersink facing out. Spread the strands at the end of the cable so that they fill the countersink and allow for the formation of a solid solder block. In a well-ventilated area, melt solder in whatever you want to use for a crucible--a metal measuring cup will do--until the surface flashes; don't boil the stuff, you don't need to breathe the fumes. Have a pair of pliers ready in case you need to handle the crucible. Dip the cable and end in flux, then dip in solder and hold for about 30 seconds. Rinse flux off in water, run cable through conduit, and solder on the other end. Clean up the ends with a file if needed.

If you don't want to buy Flanders' flux and 50/50 bar solder, you can get good results with 60/40 solid core solder and any zinc chloride liquid flux. Look in the plumbing section at Big Box Hardware/Home Supply.

Back