throttle cable / throttle asembly

yamahawarrior

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am screaming right now beating my head on the wall.

i have the stock throttle assembly on my bike it includes the on off switch and the starter button. i bought the bike missing the starter button.

so in a dont give a shit fashion i told the dealer just order me a new switch all i need is the on off and starter button.

well here is my problem i am suppose to pick the part up and i realize tonight looking at the switch that the dam switch is a throttle assembly and holds the throttle cable with a retaining screw and washer.

new part is just the switch no throttle cable. is there a solution to this can i pick up another part to hold the throttle cable.

what the heck can i do to save this problem i just want to finish my bike i am tired of all the little parts

Umm, I may be missing something here, but can't you just fit the existing cable into the new twistgrip (Throttle assembly)?

If you are only getting the upper and lower halves of the assembly then your existing twistgrip (holding the cable) should fit right in. If it is too tight to allow free movement, use a file to remove the tight spots on the grip.

If it requires a retaining screw, either drill and tap accordingly or use a self tapping screw.

And remember "The devil is always in the detail"

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited:
Here it is again maybe explained better

Current setup
Is stock xs650 switch with on off starter and throttle missing starter button.

New part
i bought a switch that has only a starter and on off no throttle asembly bought as a quick desision now no place for throttle or cable as that is built into the switch. I think i need a new twist throttle with place for cable :banghead:

From what it sounds like all you needed was a replacement button from mikesxs. My suggestion would be to tell the dealer you can't use that one, pay a small restock fee and then order the parts you really need. Have you taken the 2 halves apart to see if it indeed is only the button missing?

Here is just the button

Here is the RH control if you need it.

That horn button would work for the starter button? I am only missing the button the assembly works i currently start the bike by sticking a small screwdriver into the starter button hole.
Thanks for the help

Yes, the horn and starter button are the same. I've replaced quite a few, scrounging buttons from old control assemblies to fix the broken one. The spring is attached to the bottom of the button. Usually the plastic part breaks off so you probably need to replace the whole button "assembly" (spring and button).

I like this option better. You can get the buttons made of solid aluminum .....

http://www.freewebs.com/kibokojoe/

Back