Throttle won't return by itself... Workaround?

Hairyblackdude

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Team,

Just finished up my 80.

I noticed that I now have cruise control because the throttle does not return when released.. kinda throws me off some & I personally feel its a safety issue..

I derouted the throttle cable & just kinda draped it over the bike without running it through the frame-- to remove any kinks or tight bends.. Still no difference.

The carbs are good, nice return spring action when opened by hand, but its just not strong enough to spin the throttle sleeve back.

I disassembled the throttle switch & disconnected everything from it. The throttle sleeve spins freely on the handlebars, but its not like super free.. Its nice & smooth, but kinda stays where you let go of it.

I did use a light coat of wheelbearing grease on the handlebars when assembling the throttle.. Could that cause an issue? They are some aftermarket handlebars..

I just ordered a new throttle sleeve just in case it might have gotten crushed out of round a little bit when it was kicking around in a box for months..

I was thinking about adding an extra spring to the carbs, but I didnt feel like I should HAVE to..

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks!
_marc

You don't mention whether the cable is new/old. It could be corroded inside the sheath, or frayed or any number of things. Seems obvious, but you made no mention of it.

The throttle cable is brand new from Mikes. Maybe thats the problem? :)

It lubed it the other day with WD40 until it came out the opposite end. Made no difference.

Now, that Im typing this out, it kinda seems like I have it narrowed down to the grip.

I made sure that the handlebar switch had space & wasn't rubbing on the grip.

I also have turn signals in my bar ends, but it wasn't touching the grip at all when I was testing it. However, the turn signals require the end up the throttle & the grip to be cut open because they insert inside of the bar.
motorbike-indicators-2-480.jpg

Can you put a spring between the cable end and the cable housing down on the carb? Maybe that will give you enough tension to return the throttle?
fAuBYfXVlwz-HNA6QW96r5E6eh76HfCIZQcfA_rLwe8Bx5wX453JzDNMa6OCAzJjxkgfnuHeKY0l_oBC_AZk6sHXlyO_KrQaeyX4U82MC-Z8KtbXRzSc5g9-AZcJg3S9sgpSkS_9hwjhr4zwtXMjJRKG_ser0t_X

It may not work, just a thought..

when i got my bike it was doing the same . the PO had tightened the throtle assemble to much when i loosened it just a bit it worked freely

I've had aftermarket bars that had too thick of a finish in certain spots that caused the same problem. Don't try to remedy a problem with your throttle tube or bars by messing with the carbs. The throttle tube should spin very freely on the bars. Unhook the throttle cable at the carbs and pull on the end while working the throttle... there should be very little resistance if any.

The replace ment bars I put on my 75 came from an ATV and had holes drilled in it for who knows what. These holes had burrs and caused binding if the throttle. I ground off these burrs and a few other rough spots to get the throttle to move smooth and not bind.
Wheel bearing grease is a bit heavy. A very thin coat of chassis grease would be better.
Leo

Back