Time for new Carb?

njrmahoney

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was taking apart my Carbs for cleaning and came across this.
one of the posts that hold the float pivot pin is broken, the broken off bit was lying in the bottom of the bowl

Attachments

• Broken carb.jpg
    Broken carb.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 196
That is a common break. A few people have tried various "fixes" for that, but not a lot of success reported. Variable float level settings can give you fits. Those are some nasty green jets ya got!
Personally, I'd be changing the carb. If it was me (it's not!) I'd go to the EX500 carbs given the current level of success with them. I'm shopping for a set right now myself, even though my BS38's are working fine, if not perfect, right now.

What about these?
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-9000.html
PWK Carb kit, @ $329 seems cheap enough.

There have been several threads about the lack of quality control on those carbs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Kawasa...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d95ccad7&vxp=mtr for about $90 + about $40 in jets or so and you should have a good base set to work with. $130-$150 sounds a whole lot better than $329 to me. If you have BS38's you would need carb boots but those are only about $40 from joe-wiseguy on ebay.

When I rebuilt the carbs on my XS750 I broke one of the float hangers. To fix it, I drilled a small hole through the post and used a piece of safety wire to hold the pin.

float1.jpg

float2.jpg

The easiest and least dangerous way to get the pin out is with a nipper something like this. Squeeze it under the head of the pin and lever the pin out. No pounding. It has an angle in it that's perfect. It's meant for trimming the component leads off of old-fashioned circuit boards. I think I've gotten them at Radio Shack.

image001.png

Last edited:
I have a set of 38 for sale with filters shipped for $125.00

Attachments

• 2013-10-19 10.38.20.jpg
    2013-10-19 10.38.20.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 2013-10-19 11.00.17.jpg
    2013-10-19 11.00.17.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 156
There have been several threads about the lack of quality control on those carbs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Kawasa...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d95ccad7&vxp=mtr for about $90 + about $40 in jets or so and you should have a good base set to work with. $130-$150 sounds a whole lot better than $329 to me. If you have BS38's you would need carb boots but those are only about $40 from joe-wiseguy on ebay.

Do you use the ex500's? I have 34's so would the boots be fine?

Do you use the ex500's? I have 34's so would the boots be fine?

Yes I do use the EX500 carbs and to be quite honest I find that they are great performers and are very forgiving. The prices I quoted are for genuine Kehein jets from jetsrus.com . Look in the ex500 carb thread you will find a wealth of info about the swap and what has worked for myself and others. Also just to let you know kawasaki used the same carbs on all ex500's from 1987-2007 so you should be able to find a set reasonably cheap in there somewhere.

I think i will give them a try.

You will be glad you did. I shure was and everyone else who has tried them is so far. I just bought another set off Ebay 2005 EX 500 like new condition $120.00 shipped for my 79. The bike is in pieces but at least when it is carb time. I can put them on and they will work better than BS carbs. :thumbsup:

Back