timing and serial number

jo jo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the chiltons manuel,and in the timing section it states engines with serial numbers below 11764,alighn the rotor with the mark to the left of the letter F. The only number i have is 2F0-107053,So,do i alighn with the F or to the left,or do i need to find another number.thank you gents.

Your serial indicates you have a 1978 model and I think the manual is probably referring to 72 and earlier with that 11764 number.

That said, I don't think the timing recommendations changed over the years so I'm not sure what the chilton is trying to do there. There should be a line on either side of the "F". At idle you want the cylinders to fire between these two lines. This only affects the idle and ease of starting. There's another timing mark farther away from the "F" and "T" lines, it's the point you want them to fire at when you're actually riding. It's arguably the more important of the two because when you're actually riding the bike you're almost always at the advance setting. I mean, you want to get both of them right, but I'm stressing the importance of the advance mark because the manual always understates it. If you want your bike to perform well and last a long time you need to get the advance timing right.

Thank you my friend,that's what i wanted to know.It took me 3 day's to get those points to open right above the "f" mark. Now i know why everyone goe's pamco ign.

What he says: the advance wears in a way that allows the points cam to over advance. There are some threads on how to correct that and yes a Pamco is a great improvement on a points bike but it does not correct an over advance condition. I have a different simple way to correct over advance but I need more proof miles on it before I spill the beans.

Hmmm---I need the beans spilled--- tim

What about replacing thd advance arms ect.,or is it the cam rod that's warped?

Heres one advance weight thread with how tos for R&R

In This thread Retired gentleman details a "too much advance" fix by peening the advance weights.

To summarize; there are a lot of parts to the "points type" ignition system. typically all of the these parts are old and may have seen 30,000 miles of use.
Typical issues are;
worn out points assemblies.
Sticking advance shaft
weak advance springs.
worn advance weights allowing over advance.

A pamco will cure SOME of the issues the advance mechanism will still need attention for proper ignition function.

Back