Timing (any ideas please)

jkocr2

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Forgive me i'm totally new to xs's! finally got the xs running lastnight and was able to get the timing set. heres the thing, the pamco is set to full advance. When i shine the light on it, at idle its right on and when revving to 3-3200 it never goes past the far left timing mark.

Is the cam off a tooth or would i not even be able to get it timed right if it was? i did notice the locating pin is missing on the atu side. the one that goes in the advance rod. could the pamco not be lined up correctly?

any help would be appreciated. i try to always use the search function but i'm stumped on this one.

Thanks!!!

You can't run the bike with missing locating pins. You may have the timing set at the moment but it won't stay there without the pins. The missing pin will let the part it's supposed to locate move eventually and that will throw the timing off. If the timing goes too far advanced on you, you could blow your motor up. You can fix it now for a dollar or wait 'til she blows and pay $500 or more.

If there is no pin on the advancer side, How did you install the replacement cap, assuming you are using E-advance? It's what locks your timing in, since the Pamco rotor is driven by the shaft and the shaft is locked to the cam by the pin you are missing.
Not passing the far left mark is a good thing, since the mark is full advance. Mine is slightly different depending on which plug wire I put the induction clamp on, but I checked it on both just to make sure I was not over-advancing. Mine comes up about 1/16" short of the line on the side that advances the farthest (right plug wire), and I left it like that. Might not be optimum, but not going to hurt anything.

Many greater minds than mine at work here, so stay tuned for further advise.

Thanks guys, we were kind of thinking that might be the case with the pin. the way i lined it up was to just kind of eyeball where the pin was under the pamco rotor and then line up where it should come through the slotted weight on the atu side.

whats everyone using for locating pins? i bought a pack from mikesxs and the damn things are super small and just slide right out of the advance rod.

You might try using one of those on the Pamco side or for locating the advance unit as the pin holes don't go all the way through in those spots. Then use an original for the little advance unit disc.

Back