Timing issue? Dies when I try and move.

stevoman88

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Here is my issue. The idle appears to be perfect. However when I went to set the advance and reved the engine it would not advance. I just replaced the ATU with a used unit. Engine idles great and sounds great too. When I shift down to first the bike nearly dies. You have to give it a ton of throttle to move at all. I cant figure out what it is. I think its the timing becuase when I was first trying to solve I noticed the half plate for the bottom point was completely loose. At this point I dont know what to do or check. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated. By the way when I put my ATU unit back in I had to cut 2 coils out of the springs to get the bob weights to spring back. I have a timing light and I have done a ton of reading up just cant figure it out. ANY IDEAS???
Thanks in advance.

It sounds like it's not advancing. You may have over-stiffened the springs by taking 2 coils off. Most approach this by taking one coil off one spring only and then if that's not enough, one coil off the other too. Is your advance rod turning freely in the cam (with no springs)? Besides lubing the unit itself, you have to grease the bushings in the cam that the rod turns in.

Well I will put a flat head in between the springs and see if I can losen them a bit. Everything else should be lubed up but I will double check it as well. I may just order some new springs. That may just be the ticket.

Well I ordered new springs so once they come in I will take the ATU back apart and make sure everything is well greased and reassemble. Hopefully this will fix the issue. I checked the advance last night and when reving it the mark went nowhere. Its got to be something within that ATU unit.

It sounds like it's not advancing. You may have over-stiffened the springs by taking 2 coils off. Most approach this by taking one coil off one spring only and then if that's not enough, one coil off the other too. Is your advance rod turning freely in the cam (with no springs)? Besides lubing the unit itself, you have to grease the bushings in the cam that the rod turns in.

I know you should grease the rod but, what exactly is the process for lubing the unit?

Lube the pivot posts on the unit, the ones the weights rotate on. When servicing one for the first time, I remove the weights, clean the posts, then re-assemble with them lightly greased. Maintenance in the future consists of giving them and the springs a small shot of foaming chain lube. This penetrates and gels into grease so dis-assembly is not required. I do this after a ride so the parts are warm and the lube penetrates better.

The unit backing plate is raw steel and can rust. I wipe it down with oil. Not dripping with oil, just a light film so it shines and looks wet. If I ever have it off, I apply anti-seize to the cam so the unit won't get rusted on.

I am waiting for my springs right now but once received I will oil and grease everything up. I will let you know what happens. Hopefully the damn thing will advance so I can get the timing wrapped up! Thanks again guys.

Back