Timing mark moving the wrong way when revving engine?

You will need a different coil no matter what Pamco you use. It uses a single coil with dual outputs, not two separate coils like your points set-up. You don't need the kit with the advance rod, you already have one. If you want to save a few bucks, that 1st kit is what you want and buy your own coil. Something like this works well .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Andrews-Ign...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ce4cc841&vxp=mtr

I've been using this one for several years now with my Pamco .....

AndrewsCoil.jpg

AndrewsCoil2.jpg

Cool thanks for the info. I worked on it a bit today after work. I reset the points and I kept getting intermittent spark on the left cylinder. I tried all sorts of combinations swapping coils/condenser/ignition wires etc to try to isolate the bad component. For whatever reason when I had the spark plug off to check for spark (and I wasn't getting any) I tried a different spark plug and it worked. I put new ones on recently but I kept the old ones because they were ok. Anyway after swapping out the left spark plug it seemed to be firing properly on both cylinders. I'm not sure if this was actually because of the spark plug or because i disturbed something else but it seemed to work fine after that :wtf:

My buddy was with me so we got it idling with the choke off and set the timing at idle to be in between the "F" marks. Then I revved it up to 3k and it was still shy of the advance line. I had to rev it to almost 4k to hit the advance line so I suspect that I cut the advance springs too short so I can play around with those a bit to get a more suitable tension on them but at least I'm seeing some progress. I still can't explain why the timing mark seemed to be going backwards the other day or not even really advancing unless I totally buggered up the settings with the points or something. Im clutching at straws with that explanation however it seems to be working properly now. I'm going to mess around with it to try to get it running as well as I can but I still think I will be swapping over to the PAMCO setup. I'm not a fan of this old, finicky inconsistent stuff. :banghead:

Yes, points can really try your patience, lol. I put up with them for the 1st few years I had my 650. Even with all the right tools (timing light, dwell meter), it was always a crap shoot as to whether they would adjust up properly.

I rode it today. The rev's don't seem to be hanging anymore but the timing isn't advancing the way it should. I definitely butchered the advance return springs :doh:

I can stretch one of them a bit to try and help this situation but I have a feeling Santa will bring me a pamco :D

Another new development is when I put it on the side stand (I've always used the center stand while working on it) the fuel pours out of the carb vent tube so I presume I have my float level set to high. Making some progress. 90% done with 90% to go :thumbsup:

Yes, points can really try your patience, lol. I put up with them for the 1st few years I had my 650. Even with all the right tools (timing light, dwell meter), it was always a crap shoot as to whether they would adjust up properly.

I couldn't agree more. I told my wife the other day that working on this bike is like trying to sleep under a blanket that's too small. you pull the blanket up and you're feet are hanging out and you pull it back down and your top half is hanging out. There's no way to win!

I couldn't agree more. I told my wife the other day that working on this bike is like trying to sleep under a blanket that's too small. you pull the blanket up and you're feet are hanging out and you pull it back down and your top half is hanging out. There's no way to win!

:D:D:DI got one of them blankets too !:laugh:

The points on the left side may be faulty....................how old are those points? Points can have oil on the contacts, or oxidized, and higher resistance than the 0 resistance required. A new set of points or better yet a Pamco may be the way to go.

I have an old timing light that only works on the right cylinder. It won't work on my left cylinder.
as i understand the system one set of points opens the primary firing circuit and the other closes it

Back