Timing - NEED HELP!

stevoman88

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Well bike has been running great and I took it for a ride yesterday and it felt like it had no power and it was just running bad. Started checking things out and noticed the half plate on the points side was loose and slid downward. Is this for the timing? I tried reading up on the timing but I just dont understand it. I have a PMA kit and I have my TDC mark along with a 15 and 40 degree marks. Could someone explain timing to me or post a link for timing. I have never done timing and from what I have read I just dont understand it. Any help is appreciated. By the way I do not have a timing light but I do have a meter I could use. Again this is the half plate on the points side.
Thanks.

Steve, if the ATU is aligned right, the upper set of points will control the right cylinder. The main plate moves both points sets, so move it to dial in timing on the upper (right cylinder) points. The half plate controls timing on the lower points set (left cylinder). Dial that in after setting the main plate. Then recheck the main plate to be sure adjustment hasn't moved. Be sure to inspect timing in advanced mode as well as at idle!

Then go buy yourself a timing light--that was part of our deal, remember?

Dick,
I sure do. Problem is I dont exactly know how to use one. Any recomendations on where to buy one. Ill get it today if possible.
Thanks again.

Dick,
I sure do. Problem is I dont exactly know how to use one. Any recomendations on where to buy one. Ill get it today if possible.
Thanks again.

I got a cheap one from Harbor Freight. A lot of people will dog on these, but I only use it a couple of times a year if that. Connect Red to + and Black to - on battery, other clamp goes around your spark plug wire. While the engine is running (~1200 rpms) it will flash as that wire fires. Point it at your alternator and you can see where the engine is firing in relation to top dead center. Move your points plate to change the spark timing... Rev up to 3K and you should see timing automatically advance. Pretty easy. Get yourself a manual, it's pretty clear how it works. There's also lots of videos on youtube.

One more thing - you clip the light to the plug wire of the cylinder you're checking. Can't do both with it on the same plug wire.

15 is the idle timing, 40 the full advance. The TDC isn't used for setting timing, it's for setting the valves.

15 degree is the fire mark at idle (~1200 rpms), 40 degree is full advance (3000 rpms+)
It's all explained in a Clymer or Haynes manual. Get a Manual.

Steve, most big box auto parts stores have inductive timing lights. A timing light is a strobe that flashes when it detects a spark through the plug wire. When you point it at the alternator, the marks appear to freeze in the position the crank is in when the ignition fires. Please read the articles I sent you with the ATU.

Back