Timing W/ Pamco, PMA... white smoke left cylinder

mvonwahlde

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been working on getting to a "rideable" state on my build and I have the engine kicking over and running (though it races after it warms up... so I'm guessing air leaks are to be diagnosed...) and have to time the ignition.

When I first installed the advance unit the "pin" was upright. I marked TDC on the case/cover and marked the rotor with a pencil. I found TDC by sticking a chopstick in the spark plug hole on the right of the bike and stopping it at it's highest point when the engine turned.

I've since pulled the advance a bunch of times to deal with ignition issues, but have always reinstalled using all the pins.

In trying to time the bike for the first time using a Harbor Freight timing light hooked up to the two battery terminals (positive and negative) and then the little slide/sensor thing over the spark plug wire.

With the engine running, I am seeing the mark on the "top" of the rotation of the rotor instead of on the bottom near the TDC and timing marks.

So what did/am(/will) I do wrong?

The engine runs, it kicks over first try with a little help from a spray of carb cleaner (guessing I have fuel supply issues that probably require another jetting or rebuild of the carbs)... but it is giving off a decent amount of white smoke from the left cylinder (the right only a tad on start up, but this is a fresh rebuild... the last part of it by me (the first 2/3 by the PO).

white smoke is most certainly bent oil control ring, OR as mine was before i rebuilt it, valve stem seal issues. looked like a mosquito fogger.

Did you use the woodruff key when you installed the PMA flywheel? Have you had the flywheel off since it was installed? Re-check TDC.

Woodruff is there. Flywheel hasn't been off since install. TDC is still correct. Thanks though!

I checked the valves on that side of the engine and they are in spec and still s m o k i n. Where is the oil control ring (feeling stupid here).

Your timing light might be acting up also. HF is some crap stuff.

Honestly if it's smoking that bad the Pamco is the least of your worries. Oil is getting in somehwere. Could be a valve stem seal or the oil control ring, which is one of the rings on your piston.
Have you done a compression test or a leak down test?
On the rebuild, who did the pistons/rings? Valve stem seals? You or the PO?

I will commence with the searching about how to replace those... preferably without tearing the whole top end off...

Thanks!

After the "rebuild", about 10. Until yesterday it wasn't registered and plated, but it's only the left cylinder and I'm not sure exactly what has been replaced. I know that sometimes it all takes some settling in, but the first rides weren't smokey and now it smokes the more the engine gets hot (I don't want to run it too long without it being timed correctly).

Yeah, just the left cylinder though. Seems through searches that some people have been able to swap these out without tearing out the entire engine... any tips?

I'll probably return that timing light and pop for a better one. I have some valve stem seals around (the basket case I bought had tons of extras from prior builds... or he didn't change certain things... hmmmm.) I know the AutoZone near me has the light, so i'll pick that up after I deal with the oil issues.

I know I should probably just tear the whole top end down, but I want it running at least so so at least a little before we get socked in for the winter. :bike:

Back