Tips to free siezed caliper pistons?

badassjamie

Blow Me
Reaction score
I'm not biting the bullet and buying Mikes piston caliper tool for maybe a one time use.
Surely there has to be other ways to go about this.

I've tried soaking them in penetrant, using heat, and tapping them everywhere trying to release these pistons. I don't have air so that's out.

Anyone have any luck with other methods?

I've heard you can pump them out using a grease gun but I've never tried it. Sounds pretty messy, lol. I have and use air. To break the pistons free, squeeze them back into the caliper using a big C clamp. Break them free first and the whole removal process will go easier.

I've heard you can pump them out using a grease gun but I've never tried it. Sounds pretty messy, lol. I have and use air. To break the pistons free, squeeze them back into the caliper using a big C clamp. Break them free first and the whole removal process will go easier.

agree, push them in with a C-clamp then hook them back up to a working master cylinder and pump them out, a lot less messy than grease and easier to clean up, hook up since it's a correct/matching connection to begin with

I also used the master cylinder to pump mine out. They had a bunch of rust holding them in. Cleaned them and now they go in and out just fine.

i just a air gun and compressor with a c-clamp to push them back in....shoot air into them. Watch out though because they shoot out at a million miles an hour!

i just a air gun and compressor with a c-clamp to push them back in....shoot air into them. Watch out though because they shoot out at a million miles an hour!

if you use air wrap the caliper in a towel/shoprag do not have your hand or fingers under the puck unless you like pain, cuts, blood

Grease gun is messy, but safe and has worked every time for me. I've had good luck finding grease nipples that thread into the bleeder port.

I've done them with compressed air and with the master cylinder thing. Haven't tried the grease gun method yet. With compressed air, I stick a piece of board inside the caliper so the piston won't go flying then put the blow gun rubber nozzle in the banjo bolt hole and use a short burst. Hasn't failed yet.

I usually find that the groove in the caliper housing has this white crusty stuff in it, that's corroded aluminum. I have a couple of those cheap pocket screwdrivers that I have bent to scrape the worst of it out, then go back with a brass brush to get the rest. Girling used to make this red rubber grease that is great for keeping the groove from corroding again but no one seems to sell it in the US any more.

EDIT: Looks like Pegasus Auto Racing carries it under the PBR brand, p/n 3306. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=978

I tryed air on mine.. didnt work.
get a grease fitting an pump it full of grease. then brake clean the grease out.

Works great.

Back