Tire advice

Stick14ya

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m going to put some totes on my 77 xs650 and I’m having trouble trying to find what the proper size is for the rear.Looks like the wheel says 215mt-18 does that sound right so do I go with a 18 inch tire for the rear or smaller this is a pic of the wheel I’m going with thanks Chris

Attachments

• B6D4565C-17CD-408E-841A-D43932482198.png
    B6D4565C-17CD-408E-841A-D43932482198.png
    569 KB · Views: 141
Yes, 18" tire. Originally, these had a 4.00 x 18 on the rear. 4.00's aren't easy to find today so most of us use the metric equivalent, a 110 x 18. You can squeeze a 120 in there but it slows down the steering and handling. Overall, the bike works better with a 110.

110/90 is the common size most use. I don't think I've even ever seen a 110/60. That would be very low profile I think.

If anything,a 120/90-18 may help raise the gearing a little bit, compare to a 4.00-18 or 110/90-18. Which in turn can help you avoid an 18T countershaft sprocket or a very small rear sprocket, if you should want to drop rpm on the motorways. 120/90 will raise gearing about 2 percent compared to 4.00, and close to 3 percent compare to 110/90.

Bumping this because my tires are 16 years old and I should change them. The last tires I bought were Sport Elites, Dunlop K391 (?) and near the top of the performance heap in 1987 or 89 (?) Dunlop has K70s now and some other sport oriented tires. Anyone have good or bad to say? Metzler has a Block C tire set. Comments? IRC is a name I remember but I was leery in the old days, are they good/better now? I do not want white lettering and I have 18R , 19F.

^I've used those for the last two or three changes. I think they are the least expensive tire going. No different as far as I can tell from ones twice as expensive I used till I discovered those on here.

+1 re. Shinko 712s. On an XS650D (1977) with OE rims you'd need 100/90/19 front and 110/90/18 rear. The 712 molds and compounds were acquired from Yokohama when they stopped producing motorcycle tires, and it's a real bargain; I mounted a pair on a bike I refurbed for sale, and they amazed me. A word to the wise: every now and then a 712 will come off the Shinko line that's slightly miscast, so that the bead won't seat evenly. If you buy the tires from a local dealer you'll pay a little more, but you'll not only have an easy time with a return, you'll also be supporting local business.

That having been said, I use H-rated Bridgestone BT45s on my own bike. I've also used Pirelli Sport Demons; very sticky, but short lived. Years ago, before they put asphalt on everything that couldn't get up and run in my area, I used Avon Gripsters on the XS650. Wonderful tires, but Avon quit making them.

Last edited:
Tyre sizes - saw a very interesting tyre comparison today.
I went to a local motorcycle tyre dealer here in Adelaide today and he took me out the back where all the tyres are in the racks. I was telling him the closest size to the original 4.00 x 18 on my 650 77D was a 110/90 x 18. He suggested I come and have a look at the new Bridgestone 45's in the rack.
He had a 120/90 x 18 sitting next to a 4.00 x 18 and they were the same height. He also had a 120/80 x 18 sitting next to the 4.00 x 18 and that was a lot smaller diameter.
Mathematics tell us the 120/90 has a sidewall height of 108mm and a 110/90 has a sidwall height of 99mm which is 9mm less or 18mm overall.
This could just be peculiar to the Bridgestone 45 tyres and I understand that tyre sizing/maths isnt an exact sience.
After seeing that comparison I think I will go for either a 120/90 or the 4.00 even though it has been pointed out that the 120 slows the handling a bit - this shouldnt affect me because I ride like a pussy anyway.
I also looked at Avon Am26 (no supply at this stage), Dunlop GT601 (in stock) and Pirelli Sport Demon (supply in a month or two ??)
Regards Ray.

One of the best handling, stock XSs I've owned was a '74 TX650A with Avon AM26s in 100/90-19 and 110/90-18. For lack of a more tangible description, it just felt right.

My '78 Standard came to me with a 120 on the back, which I proceeded to use up. Then I replaced it with a more proper 110 and it made a big difference. The bike is much more "flickable", easier to maneuver around and toss into turns. It's the only size I run now on the rear. I've been using the Shinko 712 rears and they're OK. I tried a matching front but didn't care for it. It had a rather "vague" feeling to it and seemed to wander a bit through the 30 to 40 mph range. Instead, on the front I prefer the "V" pattern pioneered by Metzler, but Metzlers are too expensive so I get one of the knock-offs .....

VRubberVRM191.jpg

My '78 Standard came to me with a 120 on the back, which I proceeded to use up. Then I replaced it with a more proper 110 and it made a big difference. The bike is much more "flickable", easier to maneuver around and toss into turns. It's the only size I run now on the rear. I've been using the Shinko 712 rears and they're OK. I tried a matching front but didn't care for it. It had a rather "vague" feeling to it and seemed to wander a bit through the 30 to 40 mph range. Instead, on the front I prefer the "V" pattern pioneered by Metzler, but Metzlers are too expensive so I get one of the knock-offs .....

View attachment 207681
How have the vee rubber tires held up?

Well, it's a front and front tires always seem to hold up well, so it's fine so far. This is my 1st one. Before this, I used to run the Cheng Shin copy, but they stopped making it .....

ChengShinC906.jpg

Building a street tracker. Kinda' like the tread pattern. I an old fart (main bike is a geezer glide) and I don't ride fast. Besides, here in the N.E. corner of Florida the only twisties and sweepers we have are interstate on/off ramps. Decent grip and wear is all I expect. Thanks for your input.

Thumbs up on the Shinkos. I’ve used them on 4 different bikes and I love the way the grip the road. Best value out there also IMHO.

Back