Tire Removal to Paint Wheels?

InfamousXS

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calling all builders!

I am half way through my build (well maybe not quite half, i will start a build thread on here eventually) and I wanted to lay down some paint on my rims. I am already fighting the bearings to come out, which are such a bitch I might add, and now have to think about tires. The tires on there now are in pretty good shape and I would hate to trash a good pair of tires just for looks seeing as I am a poor college kid. Most guys are talking about cutting through the sidewall to remove old tires and I can't justify doing that. On the other hand I don't want to pay 100 dollars to get a set of tires taken off and another set put on. So, could I cover the tires and paint them effectively? I guess I would tape off on the sidewall as close as possible to the rim so no spray gets on the tires. Would that work well? Or should I just remove the tire and do it the "right way"? Thanks for the opinions guys :bike:

If u have to leave them on to save the cash it will work just fine. Tape off the tire around the rim edge and sand it really well, retape and prime and paint. It will be just fine.

Any shop with a rim clamp can take your tires off... Might even find a guy to do it for a case of beer. That's what I did and you'll be much happier with the end result. Otherwise just paint them and carefully cleanoff the tire before the paint sets up.

I figured I would ask a few shops about specific pricing but I have always heard outrageous numbers to do such a simple task. I would love to get them off and spring for some new tires but it isn't in the budget for now.

$100 to re & re?? Holy cr*p! There's a bit of a learning curve, but tires aren't that hard to get on and off by hand.
Tire lever and "rim savers" are handy, but not necessary. Any decent manual like the Haynes will have a solid how-to section for changing your own tires.
It takes more effort than a bicycle tire, but the principle is the same. I find removal a little easier than installation... you might try removing your tires yourself before paint, then only pay for mounting afterwards if you're worried about the paintjob. Mark the tire's position on the rim before removal, and put it back in the same place to help keep the balance (if your wheels are balanced, that is). Same goes for wheel weights; mark, remove, then exactly replace after paint. Be careful with the tube to eliminate "pinch-flats", and make sure you properly re-seat the bead, and you'll be good to go.
It's a good skill to have, even if you don't absolutely need it for a paintjob...

If you want to pull the tires then go for it.. but its not required. Pull the tire and take the air out. Put the tire against the wall and push with your knee against the rubber to break the bead.

Once the bead is broken it should give you enough room to stuff newspaper in between the tire rubber and rim.. then paint away.

If you don't want to break the bead a trick I learnt from my brother is put some grease on the rubber and paint away.. the paint won't stick to the grease and it should just wipe off with some soap and water.

Heres a good video for how to remove the tire.

And the install

Oh and this one is great if you don't have the tools

It's been a while but I've deflated tires, then use 1/4 fuel line between the bead and rim all the way around the tire, each side. It keeps the tire off the rim and seals enough to keep paint out of the inside.

C-clamps with thin boards will allow you to break the bead without damaging tires or wheels. You might have to do it in several places around the tire. Then apply a little bit of dishwashing detergent to the beads before carefully using tire levers to carefully remove the tire.

Since 1974, I've never paid a shop to change out a tire-- not once.

If you want to pull the tires then go for it.. but its not required. Pull the tire and take the air out. Put the tire against the wall and push with your knee against the rubber to break the bead.

Once the bead is broken it should give you enough room to stuff newspaper in between the tire rubber and rim.. then paint away.

If you don't want to break the bead a trick I learnt from my brother is put some grease on the rubber and paint away.. the paint won't stick to the grease and it should just wipe off with some soap and water.

Heres a good video for how to remove the tire.

And the install

Oh and this one is great if you don't have the tools

Grease works, Vasoline cleans up easier. :bike:

If the tires are old, you should replace them anyway. Having tread is not the thing to go by-old hard, dried up tires will ride like shit, and have terrible grip. Find a local small shop that works on everything if you don't want to do it. Its not hard, but you have to learn how. I use a changer these days. :)

John

If the tires are old, you should replace them anyway. Having tread is not the thing to go by-old hard, dried up tires will ride like shit, and have terrible grip. Find a local small shop that works on everything if you don't want to do it. Its not hard, but you have to learn how. I use a changer these days. :)

John

John is right about the old tires. Any tire that is more than 5 or 6 years old is generally considered unsafe no matter how good it looks. Rubber breaks down upon exposure to air and light and I've yet to find anyone storing old motorcycles in a dark vacuum chamber.

Haha I don't think the bike was kept in a vacuum chamber. Thanks for all the responses guys. I know I really should look into new tires and I will end up putting the effort into change them myself. The project will just take longer than I want but then again I guess it already has. Do the tired hold any value or are they worthless? They have good tread but I know what you mean about tired of that age being bad.

i tried to take a tire off once. smacked my self in the head with the iron.
Like I said...once.

i tried to take a tire off once. smacked my self in the head with the iron.
Like I said...once.

I've replaced a rear tube by the side of the road with a 13mm wrench for a tire-iron. I hope like hell I never have to do that again, but knowing how gives me confidence.

I've replaced a rear tube by the side of the road with a 13mm wrench for a tire-iron. I hope like hell I never have to do that again, but knowing how gives me confidence.

My Superglide blew out a rear tire on Interstate 40 in the middle of the night. After the scary part was over I looked up to see a Yamaha Dealership at the next exit about a mile away. Using a little bit of clutch and engine power to help me, I pushed it to the Yamaha Dealer. But being it was the middle of the night it was closed.

So I shook the doors until the alarms went off and the police came. I was sitting on the steps beside my bike when they got there. A few minutes later someone from the dealership showed up. I bought a tire and used his shop to put it on my bike, thanked the police who were still hanging around and the Yamaha guy, and rode away.

Of course, that was a long time ago. Now-a-days they'd probably just lock me in jail.

Couple of $10 tire spoons and 10 minutes of labor. Really not a hard job. Get the tire warm by sitting it in the sun or in the house them spray something like simple green (that's what we always use) around the bead and it will slip right off. It is a harder job if it has a tube. I hate tubes but its still not that bad.

Back