Tire Spoons

The best tire irons I have and have ever used are these by Ken-Tool. Ken-Tool is a company that specializes in tire changing tools and equipment .....

Ken-Tool32114.jpg

I also have a couple of the irons with the big bend in them. They are know as a Michelin type because that's the company that invented the design .....

MichelinTireLever.jpg

The big bend allows the iron to sit nicely over the tire and retain the trailing edge of the bead as you work the rest on .....

tirefix3.jpg

For rim protection, for many years I just used cardboard, usually the little pieces that come stuffed in new tires to help keep them round. I finally sprung for some real ones, from Motion Pro, and all I can say is they're wonderful. They snap onto the rim nicely and stay put .....

InsertDismountEnd.jpg

I also use the RuGLYDE lube. For years I just used dish washing liquid mixed with water but finally sprung for the real stuff. It's only about $15 for a gallon at NAPA and it can also be used to clean and treat rubber parts so you'll get more use out of it than just tire changing .....

RuGLYDE.jpg

The last tool I'll mention is for helping with tube install. This can be about the most difficult part of changing a tube tire. It's called the Tire Tamer and allows you to easily pry open the tire bead so you can reach in and stick the valve stem through the hole in the rim .....

TireTamer2.jpg

TireTamer.jpg

The best tire irons I have and have ever used are these by Ken-Tool. Ken-Tool is a company that specializes in tire changing tools and equipment .....

View attachment 219186

I also have a couple of the irons with the big bend in them. They are know as a Michelin type because that's the company that invented the design .....

View attachment 219187

The big bend allows the iron to sit nicely over the tire and retain the trailing edge of the bead as you work the rest on .....

View attachment 219188

For rim protection, for many years I just used cardboard, usually the little pieces that come stuffed in new tires to help keep them round. I finally sprung for some real ones, from Motion Pro, and all I can say is they're wonderful. They snap onto the rim nicely and stay put .....

View attachment 219189

I also use the RuGLYDE lube. For years I just used dish washing liquid mixed with water but finally sprung for the real stuff. It's only about $15 for a gallon at NAPA and it can also be used to clean and treat rubber parts so you'll get more use out of it than just tire changing .....

View attachment 219190

The last tool I'll mention is for helping with tube install. This can be about the most difficult part of changing a tube tire. It's called the Tire Tamer and allows you to easily pry open the tire bead so you can reach in and stick the valve stem through the hole in the rim .....

View attachment 219191

View attachment 219192
Oh, that tube install iron is cool! I might have to weld up one of those....

I watched a bunch of videos on changing tires before I tried, although I had lots of experience with bicycle tires. This video is fantastic. I also have those blue motion pro rim protectors.

Back