Tires

image.jpg

This is a Dunlop 404. I’m running six of them. The other five have little to no weight. This would have presented a problem if it didn’t get balanced.

View attachment 259199

This is a Dunlop 404. I’m running six of them. The other five have little to no weight. This would have presented a problem if it didn’t get balanced.
Wow thats a lot of weight. Once I get the tire balanced I’ll try to get a quick check on the balance. I’m sure someone in my vintage m/c group has a balance jig set up.

Remove the tire with the weights on. Put the axle through the wheel supported by two jack stands. Give the wheel a slow spin and see if it always comes to rest weights down. If so start removing weights untill the wheel comes to a stop in random places. My guess is you will be removing all the weights.
Mount and air up the mew tire. Use the axle and jack stands again to balance the tire, adding weight where needed.
This may not be as accurate as using a real balancer, but close enough for government work.

Remove the tire with the weights on. Put the axle through the wheel supported by two jack stands. Give the wheel a slow spin and see if it always comes to rest weights down. If so start removing weights untill the wheel comes to a stop in random places. My guess is you will be removing all the weights.
Mount and air up the mew tire. Use the axle and jack stands again to balance the tire, adding weight where needed.
This may not be as accurate as using a real balancer, but close enough for government work.
Thx. I was contemplating building my own static balancer. After all it’s really only 4 bearings and a couple of uprights. I’ll try the jackstand hack first.

Does anyone have a static balancer who can tell me what the bearing dimensions are? I can just use the axle to hang the wheel assembly. The axle on the Honda is 17mm. Thx.

Edit: looks like 608RS bearings are commonly used with a recommendation to upgrade to ceramic bearings. FYI

I just reviewed a thread that talked about DIY wheel balancers and one poster commented if the bearings in the wheel hub are good, there should be no need to have outboard support bearings at the ends of the rod / axle. Just let the tire rotate on its own wheel bearings. Any thoughts on this - it would simplify making my jig.

Last edited:
The only trouble I've encountered with using the actual wheel bearings is some have too much drag to turn easily enough, either grease or seal drag.
I can only say try it and use your own judgment, if they seem to spin freely and you get repeatable results, ie. heavy spot same place within 1/2" or so then it should be fine.

I've always just used the axle and wheel bearings to static balance my tires/wheels, and they've always worked just fine. This is on my homemade wheel stand .....

Wheel Stand.jpg

Wheel Stand2.jpg

I finally did get a pretty nice balancing stand a few years ago, but can't say it works any better than my homemade one, lol. I bought it because it was cheap on Craigslist (about $25 and brand new) .....

Balancing.jpg

Balancing2.jpg

I just reviewed a thread that talked about DIY wheel balancers and one poster commented if the bearings in the wheel hub are good, there should be no need to have outboard support bearings at the ends of the rod / axle. Just let the tire rotate on its own wheel bearings. Any thoughts on this - it would simplify making my jig.
It's all I ever do. Nothing fancy.

I"m going to borrow a balancer like 5 twins shows from a friend of a friend for another bike (not the XS).
You guys using spoons and muscling them in or anyone here do wire tie method?
Another guy (here?) I know cuts the old tire off with utility knife then puts new tire on

Last edited:
Bosco, I see you got the Michelin style tire irons, a good choice .....

MichelinTireLever.jpg

But, what's that big curve in the one end for, you may ask? Well, it's made to retain the bead at it's trailing edge during install .....

tirefix3.jpg

You'll discover that as you work the tire on, it will want to pop off back where you started. The Michelin style tire iron was designed to stop that and works very well. Sometimes you don't even need to hold it.

I've tried many different tire irons over the years and the Michelin type is best for holding the bead on. Overall best tire irons I have are this pair from Ken-Tool. They're like giant screwdrivers except with tire spoons on the ends instead of a screwdriver blade .....

Ken-Tool32114.jpg

Best rim protectors I've found are these plastic ones made by Motion Pro. They snap on the rim nicely and stay put .....

M-P Rim Shields2.jpg

M-P Rim Shields.jpg

But I finally graduated from tire irons to an actual tire changing tool a few years ago. I got the HF motorcycle tire changing attachment they make to slip on top of their manual car tire changer. I didn't want (or need) the car changer so I made my own base for the changer. When not being used for that, it doubles as a little work table .....

Changer Mounted2.JPG

WorkTableMod.jpg

I've changed a lot of tires with this thing and it's more than paid for itself, many times over in fact.

Bosco, I see you got the Michelin style tire irons, a good choice .....

View attachment 259322

But, what's that big curve in the one end for, you may ask? Well, it's made to retain the bead at it's trailing edge during install .....

View attachment 259324

You'll discover that as you work the tire on, it will want to pop off back where you started. The Michelin style tire iron was designed to stop that and works very well. Sometimes you don't even need to hold it.

I've tried many different tire irons over the years and the Michelin type is best for holding the bead on. Overall best tire irons I have are this pair from Ken-Tool. They're like giant screwdrivers except with tire spoons on the ends instead of a screwdriver blade .....

View attachment 259329

Best rim protectors I've found are these plastic ones made by Motion Pro. They snap on the rim nicely and stay put .....

View attachment 259330

View attachment 259331

But I finally graduated from tire irons to an actual tire changing tool a few years ago. I got the HF motorcycle tire changing attachment they make to slip on top of their manual car tire changer. I didn't want (or need) the car changer so I made my own base for the changer. When not being used for that, it doubles as a little work table .....

View attachment 259332

View attachment 259334

I've changed a lot of tires with this thing and it's more than paid for itself, many times over in fact.
Very nice. Choice of tire irons was because of your and @jpdevol ’s recommendations.👍

I"m going to borrow a balancer like 5 twins shows from a friend of a friend for another bike (not the XS).
You guys using spoons and muscling them in or anyone here do wire tie method?
Another guy I know cuts the old tire off with utility knife, then uses wire tie method to put it on.

Are the axles just resting on the Workmate’s?
Just a piece of 14mm and 16mm allthread through them.

I usually just use the axle but anything near in size will work. You just need to set it fairly level so the wheel doesn't "walk" one way or the other while it's spinning. On my fancy balance stand, each of the four feet is adjustable. On my homemade wheel stand, one side can be adjusted. I start out by leveling the axle or whatever rod I'll be using with the stand where I'm going to use it .....

Leveling Axle.jpg

I usually just use the axle but anything near in size will work. You just need to set it fairly level so the wheel doesn't "walk" one way or the other while it's spinning. On my fancy balance stand, each of the four feet is adjustable. On my homemade wheel stand, one side can be adjusted. I start out by leveling the axle or whatever rod I'll be using with the stand where I'm going to use it .....

View attachment 259356
Yes, thx. I did that with my impromptu set up. One end of the axle rests on the jaws of my vise and the other on a cheap scissor jack which made leveling effortless.

Back