Title and Paperwork Rant

SEarhart

XS650 Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys are sick of seeing the words "no title", "no paperwork", "bill of sale" only. : ):doh: when looking for that project bike??

I know these words don't mean much to someone looking for parts, etc. but it just kills me when I see bike after decent bike with these words somewhere in the description of a for sale listing be it on Craigslist, EBay, blah, blah, blah.

Okay, got that out of my system.:) Ride on....

It amazes me when I started looking for the XS I have now in Dec how many bikes out there seem to have this issue. Wouldn't even consider it for a project. But I did see where a guy built a wall stand and had a bike up in his living room and loved that idea...so for that I'd be ok with no title! ;)

Yep, learned my lesson... bought three bikes with no papers (mostly parts) but still turned a nice profit selling the parts, and still have two whole bikes leftover. More than likely will never get them registered because of the hassle with getting them titled. At least I did my own #'s search and they and all the parts were not hot...
Chalk it up to cheap tuition in the school of hard knocks, I guess.

My friend is still trying to get a title. He had to have it. Wouldn't listen to me. My bike is on the road, his is in the shed. He, luckily, hasn't put the boat load of parts he bought on it yet.

I was trying to sell my bike, and that was the problem I ran into.. I had no title for it.
The thing is, is in Maine you dont need a title once a bike reaches a certian age, and all xs650 fit that age requirment.

I know a guy who bought an old Soviet bike without a title and not only does he have the lack of title to contend with, he has the problems stemming from the fact that the thing was never sold in the U.S. market. I don't know if it even has a vin to start with.

The U.S. Sometimes won't let you operate a vehicle on the road that wasn't authorized for sale here. The Porsche 959 couldn't be sold here 'cuz they would not give a few to the U.S. to crash test.

:pimp:
Yeah you guys keep turning down all the no title bikes, and I'll keep buyn' em. Sounds fair all around. :pimp:

A few 959's are on the road today in the US. The guy that owns pelican parts has a 959. A nice silver 959. But it's still a bitch to get it on the road. I think it has to be a certain age for them not to give a damn about the car/truck/bike anymore.

I will buy anything over 15 years old without a title ... its not required. ... You can get a title for just about anything if you want to spend the time and money. I have a friend who brought a nissan skyline over here from Japan ... bought the car for what equalled 10k then spent another 25k to get the car home and legal

Yeah bummer it's so hard to import RHD cars. I sure would love to get a RHD diesel van for my mail route.

I don't mind as long as I do a little research. If they where registered in my state it takes a little leg work but I get it done everytime. Actually staring at the title for the xs650 I picked up with no title a couple of months ago. Would of had the title a month ago if the dealership that apraised would have put their dealer number. It just sucks when you want something so bad you don't check it out and find out its not as easy as the PO told you:doh:

:well dont buy anything in ms with out a title, bill of sales are no good here. unless its 60s or earlier and u have two notorized bill of sales. why u got to have two, they wouldnt tell me. so any of yall got any yamaha street bike from 70s to 80s with a title thats good iam looking for one. neck and title would be better, gonna need a photo of it to take to dmv to make sure the will except it :banghead::(

Last edited:
Here in Iowa you can do a bonded title, but really such a hassle it's just not worth it. Here no title means "parts bike" only. Although with the prices some folks ask you would think no title means, "made of gold".....

In NY if the previous owner had the title and simply lost or misplaced it he can apply for a replacement title, not a big deal, but legally he isnt supposed to sell the motorcycle or vehicle even for parts unless he can produce the title. Its a law that doesnt get inforced and it becomes more of a buyer beware because the buyer soon learns he cant walk into the DMV and just get another title no matter how easily the PO claimed it is to get one. The scrap yards in the last few years have also been demanding a title before you can scrap a vehicle.

Bradshaw I registered a bike with a Maine plate in California and was issued a title. Yhey new that Maine does not issue older bikes titles. Tony C.

I have a RHD Mini. It has a 7 digit VIN. When I brought my title in the DMV said "it's a seven digit vin, we can't register it".

I said "well, I just handed you a MN title. So it looks like you can!"

Vehicles need to be 25 years old to be imported into the US legally.

Back