titling help!

skidmark760

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So i have a title with a wrong vin number on it. it reads 5va when its really 5v4. i already posted a thread months ago but i finally have the money to go title it. So im asking you guys what should i do 1) Go to the DMV and act like i dont recognize the mistaken vin number on my bike? OR 2) Start all over with no paper work? im in cali if that helps, give me some advice guys.:doh:

I would research what it takes in your city to fix an incorrect VIN on title. You could either let it be or get it fixed. I think the most you would have to do is have a cop VIN verify it (I think you can get the paperwork online) and then go to the DMV and have them fix it. Google is your friend.

I've had several conversations about titling with the owner of a shop in SoCal that specializes in custom Triumphs. He says he registers about 5 bikes a week - the CHP even comes to his shop to do the verifications.

After 20 years your bike is no longer in the system. I'd probably put the title aside and get a bill of sale from a friend, using the correct VIN. You'll have to have it verified by the CHP but that should be painless as long as it's not stolen.

Getting DMV paper corrected after 20 years sounds like a potential nightmare.

Make sure your "seller" gives you an "Affidavit of Non-Use".

Last edited:
Back