titling issue

Simple Bob

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, recently tried to get my current project titled at local dmv. During my trip I was told that I could not title this bike and if I were to I would have to track down all the owners of this bike until I have located the title. Good luck... well unfortunately I cant do that due to the fact I purchased this motorcycle with the knowledge that it didn't have one and they said I could get one from dmv. Wow were they wrong. I need help with this one. Does anyone have good neck with title

start at your DMV web site look for "titling a abandon vehicle", next time ask yourself if getting a new title is so damn easy, why didn't they do it?

I'm sure each state is going to treat this different, the same way each province in Canada does. I almost paid $450 to try and get. Title for mine.

Did you have a bill of sale.. I recently went thru this in Va and all they did was make me pay 150$ (with bill of sale) ..

you could look into getting a number-less neck and tell the you fabbed the frame yourself .. which is legal to do in Va they will charge you 150$ plus 5$ for a new vin plate and any other titling fees

but receipts are required for materials and parts

You could try doing a bonded title, get a titled neck, or just get a clean title and put new numbers on your neck.

Had a similar issue here, in NY. Wound up getting a "Transferable Registration." I don't know if they have that in VA. I just had to present a bill of sale that showed that I was in possession of the vehicle for more than 2 years, and a rubbing or picture of the VIN. I also had to have proof of insurance since I would be actually registering the vehicle. This also only applies to vehicles manufactured on or prior to 1972 in NY.

Since there was no standard for VIN numbers prior to roughly 1976 the DMV will just have to take your word for what year the bike is and how long you had it. You get my drift?

Sort of a long winded tale, but maybe you should look into a transferable registration

It would be a lot of work but if you have a neighboring state that allows bonded titles, and you know someone who would do it for you, have them bond it then sell it to you for a buck. I am on the border of two states so this would be easy for me but i know that others would have a 5 hour drive to get to the border.

Iowa allows bonded titles, I didn't realize that some states do not...

Back