To Anyone Using A Shell Cam

pa-powerstroke

On The Edge
Reaction score
Planning on running a shell #1 cam in my bike, with the lift they are advertised at (I believe .405) Could you use standard valve stem seals or did you have to use the ones from Mikesxs that are supposed to be X amount shorter than stock?

The cam will make all the power you need. With some good valve springs 8300 rpm is red line for the cam. If your motor can handle it. Works great with 750 cc should do the same with 700 cc.

Right, OE valve guide seals are fine with the Shell #1. OE valve springs, however, are not fine with that cam, no matter what Joe Minton had to say to the contrary; I had to find that out the hard way by cupping an intake valve after very few miles. Rule of thumb on old magazine tech articles: Believe anything written by Gordon Jennings. Take anything written by Minton with a kilo of salt.

Right, OE valve guide seals are fine with the Shell #1. OE valve springs, however, are not fine with that cam, no matter what Joe Minton had to say to the contrary; I had to find that out the hard way by cupping an intake valve after very few miles. Rule of thumb on old magazine tech articles: Believe anything written by Gordon Jennings. Take anything written by Minton with a kilo of salt.

I think im going with rd valve springs in this setup. I wana keep this build running for at least as long as its taking me to build it....2 years so far haha

Back