To coat or not to coat?

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've seen that Hugh's video with the red xs650 engine and really like the idea of getting mine powder coated. I was looking at a cream white. But, there is a claim that the paint will increase the temp. I spoke with a local coating company and they say that they don't see how it could be that significant. They do however mention that the temp of the engine can't get hotter then 250 degrees or the finish will start to fail. Is there any truth to the added heat claim and exactly how hot could the engine get? Under normal working conditions. If it can get really hot what about the crank case only? I could settle for just the crank case being coated.

The cylinders can get 280 or higher easily. If you powder coat the case the next owner will curse you! He'll be sayin on here how the p.o. powder coated the cases and how in the hell can I get it off.

If you must do it what you want is engine enamel. It should also work on the cylinders and It would come off pretty easy with stripper. A quick check says it works to 500 degrees.

The Horse BC had an interesting article on it and found that powder coat can increase the head temp.
High temp powder coating is used on headers to contain heat and keep exhaust gas velocity high, so why wouldn't it hold heat in a cylinder?
The rough texture of the head and fins adds exposed surface area and increases the wind washed surface. Rough textures and holes both create added surface area to shed heat. Closing it all up under a nice smooth outer finish counters this effect.
If I wanted to do anything, it would be engine enamel.
My 2 pennies worth.

Back