to lean?

spanks

XS650 Member
Reaction score
well i finally got to go for a ride that lasted more than twenty minutes today. i notice after i start it up and i blip the throttle it cuts out then revs up. and after the ride when i blip-ed the throttle it stayed revved up for a couple seconds then came down? . all i have is a after market set of pipes of unknown origin the previous owner put on the bike. Ive read the carburetor guide but i didnt understand some of the parts. thanks in advance

Yes, both of those symptoms are lean indicators. You may just need a carb sync and mix screw adjustments or maybe some minor re-jetting is needed.

i just synced the the carbs. i haven't touched the mix screws because i don't understand the dead cylinder method. the electrode on the spark plug has a nice brown/tan color though

Your plug color is probably indicating that, overall, your carbs are set up pretty close. You can be off slightly in some circuits though. Your symptoms are indicating the idle circuit may be a bit lean. Richening the mix screw settings could help but it could take a larger pilot jet as well to cure it.

You don't have to use the "dead cylinder" method for setting your mix screws. It's just one of the methods that can be used. You can just adjust them. It's best to know where your setting are now so turn the screws in until they lightly seat and count the number of turns. Set them back to where they were and start with your adjusting. You'll want richer settings than you have now to try and cure your lean symptoms. You also want both screws set about the same.

Back