Top-end rebuild parts list

happydaze

John
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm about to put my 1981 XS650H (Special II) into the shop for a top end rebuild. I'm finding bits of rubber in the oil and I have a head gasket oil leak.

I found an OEM 3G1-W0001-90-00 gasket set on ebay.
I bought OEM 256-12231-01-00 cam chain guide stopper from a parts dealer. I know that some people call this a "slipper".

Questions:

The mechanic says that should also be a "back slipper". Any idea of a part number? Mike's XS Step-By-Step Yamaha XS650 Engine Overhaul Instructions (http://www.mikesxs.net/xs650engine/Part1.html) step 22 says "rear camchain slipper blade is fixed into the top of the crankcase mouth with four phillips head screws" but it does not show a picture or part number. I'm guessing that this is part #23 in the Clymer book, page 58, diagram 48. There is no part number in the book either. I need help finding this part.

Are there any other parts that I will definitely need?

BTW the mechanic is urging me to find OEM parts for all of this.

Thanks for any advice.

OEM# 447-12220-00. cam chain tensioner arm is what i think you need.

I second the use of OEM parts. i bought some from mikes xs, huge disappointment. stripped out the cam stopper, re tapped it and stripped it again. couldn't do more than 4 lbs of torque. bought oem and it worked just fine.

Also, instead of rubber "washers" on top of the rocker top, switch to copper/brass, way better for torquing the motor. mine hasn't leaked at all since the switch.

Thank you for the part number. I found one (NOS) on ebay. I also cross-checked the part number to make sure it fits my year and model.

Thanks for the info about the washers. I will mention that to the mechanic.

You'll probably want a new cam chain too. You don't need to replace all 8 washers on top of the head, only the outside 4. Those were the rubber ones. Those 4 studs drain oil back to the bottom end, that's why they had a sealing type washer. The inner 4 studs are dry so just a steel washer is fine there.

Back