top engine bracket

that's cool man all im saying is the same thing as i said before:

keep it....solid bike

hack it off.....bike may or may not have some issues

seems simple enough.

i dont understand all the fuss. beating a dead horse...save yourself some trouble and keep it or redesign it. Your bike isnt pretty (meaning dressed up/polished/painted i dig your bike) so you can slap a mount on and itll add to the look, but someone building a bike and painting the frame or powder coating it will kick there self in the ass if they have to strip the bike down and re paint it because they have to or want to add a top mount. thats all.

fuck run no front brake and a suicide shift i dont care what you do to the bike, just dont bitch if something happens to you or the bike because it got modified. Sure some will be find without the top mount, but we dont all ride the bike the same, as you said it vibrates too much on the freeway....think if you daily rode the freeway. all sorts of parts can break do to the vibration on these bikes, or even come loose due to it. that doesnt sound safe to me, thats all.

I am exempt, my shit is re-pahsed. Im cutting some more mounts off tom, then going on a 1000 mile ride at 7500 rpms. F it. Im sure if some big builder did it, everyone would be all over their jock.. Comical I tells ya.. hahaha

I'm exempt too. Shiiiii I'm running 18/30 sprockets. Lol

And I have lost about 3 mirrors the license plate bracket broke off(was welded to the hardtail, and didn't break at the welds) tail light lens , light bulbs , few bolts nuts came loose. Now I use locktight on most nuts bolts. I always check my bike over before each ride. Replaced tailight with led and plate mount off axle.
Now with my current sprockets I run 70-75 mph with vibes that I can tolerate. Would I consider my bike safe.... Who really knows. Lol . But if I wanted safe I would drive my car.

Last edited:
First of all I want to know who would be the moron who is riding a hardtail hard in turns at high speeds?????????? Why would you tell someone to do that to test the neck of the bike.
I have built over 100 choppers 50 of them XS650. If you are building a Brat bike or a Café bike I would be the first to say leave it in because you may want to cut those turns. Bike sits higher and you can cut turns on it. A Chopper that is 4" off the ground is not a road racer and if you want to kill yourself going fast in turns is a NONO!!!
You build your bike the way you want ITS YOUR BIKE. I have done them both ways and we are talking about a Twin Motor that may reach a top speed of 75 MPH with your teeth and eyes coming out of your head from vibration. COME ON.!!!! I build race frames that go over 200 MPH and the motor has 3 mounts close to 400 HP and go straight and no wobble BUT a XS650 will never come close to that. If you are a novice rider leave as much on the bike as you can it came that way from the factory. If you are just building a Bar Hopper Chopper around town and go to some shows 3 mounts are well enough. I never seen a twin motor without the top mount have enough tork to twist a frame with 3 mounts and have driven them myself many times over 200 miles both on streets with BIG POTHOLES and on Highways. If you are not a chopper fan and you like your stocker so be it I RESPECT THAT but there are other people that look at stock bikes and think they need to look different and you can't blame them for that either. BUILD OR CHOP WHAT YOU WANT ITS YOUR BIKE. And here are a couple pictures of bikes that I built and would not hit a turn in a high speeds!!!! So lets be real!!!

Attachments

• jay bk.jpg
    jay bk.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 186
  • xs650 w springer.jpg
    xs650 w springer.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 197
  • xs650orange.jpg
    xs650orange.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 187
Well, I know for certain that Cheney Engineering offers some all aluminum engine mounts, and included in the offerings are the upper head mounts. They install those mounts in both their rigid frames and suspended frames.

I've recently read that on some bikes these engine stays are quite helpful in providing "front end feel" which is very useful for being able to tell when the front tire is going to wash out from under you in a corner. Yamaha uses this type of thinking on the new FZ-09 triple, attaching the heads to the frame with these somewhat cool looking head stays they've come up with. They call it something like "controlled flex" or whatever. Yamaha is great at making up words and phrases that help search engines more than they help motorcycle engines (wink wink, gotchya Yamaha!). Bazinga! Heheh ....

That's funny, I'm funny. ;)

Anyhow, just sayin'. Take a look at the pics, sick looking engine mounts for the XS650, que no? The picture of the racing frame has all of the XS650 mounts installed in it. The other two pics are of just the two upper engine mounts. Cheney sells individual engine mounts, however I believe they're made to fit their frames. I would guess that on some custom bikes these mounts may be fully useable, they're certainly priced right! Hit this link, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and you'll see the entire bunch of CNC'd engine mounts they offer.

http://cheneyengineering.com/frame.shtml

L8r Sk8rs! :bike:

Attachments

• Vintage 2 shock frame for Yamaha XS650 - 1.png
    Vintage 2 shock frame for Yamaha XS650 - 1.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 174
  • XS650 upper engine mount-1.jpg
    XS650 upper engine mount-1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 149
  • XS650 upper engine mount-2.jpg
    XS650 upper engine mount-2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 156
First of all I want to know who would be the moron who is riding a hardtail hard in turns at high speeds??????????
Um, some of these morons perhaps?

DSC_4205-X2.jpg

DSC3707-X3.jpg

These are all new bikes at modern racing venues, not some 50 year old bikes in 50 year old pictures. Point is these ~morons~ support an entire industry of going fast on rigid frames. Today.

Why would you tell someone to do that to test the neck of the bike.
I have built over 100 choppers 50 of them XS650. If you are building a Brat bike or a Café bike I would be the first to say leave it in because you may want to cut those turns. Bike sits higher and you can cut turns on it. A Chopper that is 4" off the ground is not a road racer and if you want to kill yourself going fast in turns is a NONO!!!
You build your bike the way you want ITS YOUR BIKE. I have done them both ways and we are talking about a Twin Motor that may reach a top speed of 75 MPH with your teeth and eyes coming out of your head from vibration. COME ON.!!!! I build race frames that go over 200 MPH and the motor has 3 mounts close to 400 HP and go straight and no wobble BUT a XS650 will never come close to that. If you are a novice rider leave as much on the bike as you can it came that way from the factory. If you are just building a Bar Hopper Chopper around town and go to some shows 3 mounts are well enough. I never seen a twin motor without the top mount have enough tork to twist a frame with 3 mounts and have driven them myself many times over 200 miles both on streets with BIG POTHOLES and on Highways. If you are not a chopper fan and you like your stocker so be it I RESPECT THAT but there are other people that look at stock bikes and think they need to look different and you can't blame them for that either. BUILD OR CHOP WHAT YOU WANT ITS YOUR BIKE. And here are a couple pictures of bikes that I built and would not hit a turn in a high speeds!!!! So lets be real!!!

Your narrative is countering itself, so you're saying if you're an expert like you then build it any way you want to, but if you are a (your words) novice or a moron then leave it stock, do I have that right? So build it any way one wants, as long as they meet the standards (set by you) about whether or not a person is a moron or a novice? Oh ok, now I get it. :)

Uh, just a suggestion here, your ideas may have more credibility with readers if you refrain from making people feel stupid for not doing things your way. So let's be real. ;). Y'know whud I mean Vern?

There are right ways and wrong ways to do just about anything. The only problem in this case is that all of the right ways and all of the wrong ways are 100% based on opinions. This is the only fact in this subject worth remembering.

My suggestion on this subject? If you have one single doubt in your mind, then leave the upper mounts in. If you are not 100% certain that it won't cause you problems then do not do it. Conversely, if you have utmost confidence that it will work fine and you are comfortable with the idea, then take the danged things out and run without them. But I would not suggest doing ANYTHING to your bike that you are not 100% comfortable with. The last thing I'd want is to lay awake at night fretting about some decision I've made about my playbike. Or to dive into some corner a little hot and have that doubt lingering in the back of my mind as I struggle to keep everything as smooth and in control as possible while I deal with my overspeeding into the corner (even if the doubt is totally unfounded, it's still there, isn't it!!!!! Taking up "brain CPU" all the while I am needing every brain cell available to deal with the roadbound drama at present). The bike is supposed to be my bringer of good things, not my creator of worries. So I'd suggest that if you have even the smallest of doubts about removing the upper mount (whether those doubts are unfounded or not!) then don't cause yourself undue grief .......

........ just leave it in and let alllllllll of the kewl kids point and laugh at you because you're too uncool to run without the establishment's upper engine mount (doesn't it all seem a bit silly when put in to realistic perspective?).

So the moral of this story kids? Don't be afraid to run without it ..... and ..... don't be afraid to run WITH IT either. If it gives you the heebie geebies to run without the upper mount then don't be afraid of being TRUE TO YOURSELF instead of being true to some counterculture look. Do what you are comfortable with. The bike is supposed to serve you, not the other way around. If running without it makes you uneasy then be like the rest of us dorks and proudly run with it. :) Haahaaahaa! :) (Hey man, I know my place in the social pecking order, and I'll not apologize for that either. :))

Me? I'm using it. Call me naïve, I'd say it's a fair assessment.

:)

First off you are showing pictures of dirt riders HUH!!!!!
THEY SLIDE INTO TURNS
Try doing that on the street and then tell me you made it.
I am not telling anyone build it my way? I am telling that I have built MANY do you read MANY!!!! Bikes without top motor mounts and not have a problem so get your facts correct before you try and bash me for what I said.
AGAIN I said to the guy that said take a bike out and TEST IT MAKING FAST TURNS is a moron for telling someone to do that. I don't have EXPERT or anything next to my name do I but I have been building since 1970 and lost count over 100 builds.
Answer your other question YES if you are a new rider leave it alone but I didn't call them morons.

Great post Jeeter but you need to add some he said she said, otherwise it just doesn't fit this thread. I may contact them great looking mounts at very reasonable prices!

Back to the OP
Question;
"Can I get a solid confirmation on this?"

Answer;
No, you cannot.

Great post Jeeter but you need to add some "he said, she said", otherwise it just doesn't fit in this thread. I may contact those guys, great looking mounts at very reasonable prices! Need to figure out which brackets fit what. Danger Will Smith, danger. (that will confuse the young guys) do not nose around that web site, your wallet will suffer severely. At the least you develop terminal custom goodies lust.

Back to the OP
Question;
"Can I get a solid confirmation on this?"

Answer;
No, you cannot.

why are there two mounts that look different? They don't say wich fits wich years?
Mines exposed with a sporty frisco'ed, I'll leave the stock mount on, but sure is ugly, even though I did my best to pretty it up with paint.

Back