Top Triple Bolt Loose?

jchrisk1

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
My stem bolt keeps coming loose after torquing it for the third time. I torque it to 36lbs. and it won't hold. Should I torque to a higher spec or use Loctite or what? I don't recall having this problem last year. The bad thing is I only notice it when I let go of the bars:yikes:, or hit the front brake hard and I feel it shake.

fork legs twisted in clamps? front wheel misaligned? lower stem bearing fully seated? maybe try loosening front end, align, and re-torquing complete. if the threads are bad on your actual bolt I have an extra I could send.

I think I am with turn left. loosen and check all the bearings, leg clamps etc,
do you have tapered steering bearings in it yet? If not it's likely that's some of your problem. With the front wheel in the air does the steering feel "notchy" or self center? If so the stock balls, races are shot and need to be replaced.
Hmm order,
Bike on center stand.
remove stem bolt, loosen top tube clamp bolts, loosen center clamp bolt. remove top triple. check and set bearing lock nuts. check for tightness how easy fork turns. Install top triple, tighten stem bolt tighten center clamp bolt, and top tube bolts.

I do have the tapered bearings and I did take the lower stem bearing off this winter. So, it's possible(likely) I didn't get it seated all the way. When I tightened the lock nuts, I tightened until the steering was stiff before backing off, but maybe I should have gone until I couldn't get them any tighter and then backed them off.
I will recheck everything this morning.

Back