top triple pinch bolt....sorry

cros36

thread killer
Reaction score
just installed new tapered bearings and races. everything seems fine. ive looked on all the forums and cant find my answer.

the top triple pinch bolt does nothing. is this correct. doesnt seem like it should. also it doesnt sit flush with the stem like i believe that it used too. i know the new top race sticks out about and 1/8 and that is normal. i checked everything before i drove any races in and it seems to be correct. am i missing something?

DSCF4263.jpg

It locks the upper yoke onto the spindle. That's something. It's been awhile since I've been in there and nothing was that memorable, so I can't can't really comment further.

yeah thats the thing that is baffling me. i can tighten that pinch bolt as tight as i can with the top triple off and then just set it on the spindle. its gotta be something that im not seeing that im gonna kick myself for even asking.

It looks right I checked tapered and stock both about the same the stem not flush with the top of the tree.

Last edited:
thanks for checking that...im ok with it not being flush, there is still plenty of meat for it to set on. but why the hell would that pinch bolt not pinch the stem anymore? i can take the top tree right off no problem.

You might need to add another washer the bolt might be bottoming out in the acorn nut due to stretch as long as there is no play the bolt that goes in the stem will hold it. Do you have flat washers on both end of the stem bolts ?

Last edited:
You might need to add another washer the bolt might be bottoming out in the castle nut due to stretch as long as there is no play the bolt that goes in the stem will hold it. Do you have flat washers on both end of the stem bolts ?

ahhah! the bolt was bottoming out on the castle nut. see i knew it was something stupid! thanks scabber, another crisis avoided. on the the next.

Back