Transmission Check

ercwndt

Eric Wendt
Reaction score
Hey guys!

New to the thread! Thanks for having me! I am picking up my first XS650 project motor this weekend. Owner says it was running when it came off (im just going to assume it wasn't, learned that with small engine builds). Its just the engine and I was curious if there was any way to check out the trans for damage without doing an engine teardown. He says it turns over and has good compression, can I do a non-running shift through (if that makes any sense)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

the transmission gears are rather robust. i've got a 15k motor and the gears inside looked perfect. i've seen here some people with broken dogs but that seems rare. not sure what you would learn by just clicking through the gears without the motor running.

since the motor is out you could pull the bottom case off and check things out. but i would start by getting it into a frame and running. from there you can do a more thorough investigation.

While I have anyone looking at the thread...I've done my fair share of research and I may have missed it but does anyone have a simplified hardwire diagram fora bench test? I was saw a couple youtube videos of people starting their motor on the stand, anyone have a walk through on this. I'd rather not get it all snug in the motor to find out i have to pull it.

lot's of great wiring diagrams in the tech section. i would start with a 'simplified' version and go from there. do you know if the motor has points or tci ignition?

building a testing rig shouldn't be difficult. i would just install it on an xs frame though, you have basically all the wiring, throttle & clutch controls unless you plan on testing several engines.

i'd still love to see an xs650 powered bar stool! :laugh:

Not sure on the TCI or Points ignition. I didnt know they came stock with anything but points. I am just assuming the motor was taken off and nothing done to it. I do know that the guy was smart enough to cover the intake and exhaust flanges when he pulled it from the bike. So that gives me a little hope.

check the compression. if it's up over 110psi in each cylinder and the readings are within 10% of each other i say game on. toss that sucker in a frame and run it for a while. then you will truly be able to start seeing problems manifest, ie. smoking, oil leaks or some other unusual clatter.

Back