transmission rebuild advice needed

How good is this freakin forum! I was having exactly the same problem then boom! There's the answer!

snailstoves i would love to hear how you made out with this problem... i was in the same mindset, was thinking of shimming it but also wondering if the freeplay would be taken up by the sprocket.

Blackapache, I will definately come back to this thread but won't be fir a week or more as I'm away. Am So excited about putting the cases back together tho I won't be hanging about for long.
More in this later. All the best

I assembled a transmission to find out for myself about the shaft end play. Same play. The gear was the solution. No play after installing. Often the obvious is overlooked.

Blimey Scabber that's above n beyond the call of duty. Thank you so much. You've probably saved my engine and at least one other, see last post from Blackapache. I'd buy you a drink if I could. All the best

SOLVED

hi all, I can definately confirm that scabber was right. Ive since put the spacer and drive sprocket in place, as soon as it's tightened the freeplay in the shaft is taken up putting it where it should be with little or no side to side movement.

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE esp. SCABBER who went out to his garage and assembled all the bits to test my question, and then took it one further and solved the puzzle.

nice work snailstoves and just in the nick of time my NOS bearings for the shifter assembly will be here any day and my plugs came today for the starter delete so im going to be in the thick of assembly next week.

cheers scabber and everyone else for your tireless and selfless efforts... i would've been resplitting the cases again otherwise.. :banghead:

Wow Thank all of you guys and "Scabber" for the input. I am addressing a similar issue where I could get the bike in First when it was Not running but it just klunk klunk klunk if I tried to select First while it Is running, so I have my transmission scattered now as well.
I already had some extra shims/washers/oem that I was thinking about adding to to the shafts " but I see from the comments" that I should observe how much is taken up when the Clutch Hub is installed and the Final Drive gear is installed. What I still am unsure of though is why there is so much slop with first gear ??.
All that I found on tear-down was that it would not shift into first but after moving things around a bit it seemed to shift fine. The First gear Fork looked bent so I heated it and over-corrected it and then re-bent it and now its back to shifting very well " On the Bench". Should I be concerned about the slop on First Gear ? it gas the correct shim/washer and circlip !

It is possible that on the last assembly of the Clutch Basket and Hub that I had selected 1 too many shims and has the whole shaft assy Too tight and that was why I could not get First gear while running !! ?

Ok .. Nothing like stepping back from it for a day or two. I think I found my issue. I was bitten by the missing washer behind the clutch basket that should be on Yamaha's manual "exploded view" The 6 clutch bolts for the pressure plate were digging into the hub due to the missing washer. I would have seen this on the last tear-down if I had removed the clutch in pieces instead of as a unit. I had already decided to tear it down so i was trying to work efficiently and reduce part scatter. haha.
I deserved what I got which was an engine removal and case split for naught.
Oh well, like they say, you don't learn anything from your successes.

Back