Triple Tree Movement

azcafe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey All,

I put on my front brake this past week and noticed when i took it for a ride that me triple tree was not tight in the head tube. I put it up on a lift and noticed when you grabbed the front forks you could wiggle the whole front end forward and backward a bit. I repacked the ball bearing and did a general inspection of the head tube. I noticed that the races inside the head tube had a larger diameter than the triple tree stem. Is that suppose to be the case or is that wrong. I also tightened down the lock nut more and while it was on the lift there was no more movement but when I went to ride it I noticed the movement again when I would hit a bump or use the front brake.

Should I just upgrade to the tapered bearings. Will that most likely fix the problem? If so how do I remove the races from the head tube that are in there now or do I keep those in?

Change to the tapered bearings. If yours were that loose the races are shot and won't hold the bearings properly anymore. It will fix your problem. Search steering head bearings here for lots of discussion on removing them.

youjust bang the old races out with a screwdriver thru the other end. pack new tapered bearings in marine bearing grease. its thicker, and will stay in longer

Back