Triple Tree Problems!

jghelm

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Are all XS650 triple trees the same? The set I have for my 77 seem to be bent. I have them installed with new tapered bearings and after installing the legs and front wheel they are pointing to the left with the wheel pointing straight. I found another set but it's off of a '79 so I don't know if it will work. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

I believe the 77 forks are 34 mm and the 79 are 35 mm, so you can't just swap the forks.

I had a similar mis-alinement with my 78 forks. My bike had been in a previous accident by a PO. The lower yoke had been twisted by a front end impact. To check the lower yoke, you can place it on a sheet of glass. If its twisted, you will clearly see the twist compared to the sheet of glass.

The good thing is that the lower yoke is steel (not cast iron) and can be twisted back into a true alinement. I installed the forks into the lower yoke, and used a piece of 2x4 wood as a lever. A few twists and then checking on the sheet of glass, got my yoke re-alined.

That may not be your problem, but is worth checking.

Attachments

• Steering yoke.JPG
    Steering yoke.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 104
Back