Trouble with head light Pamco with Battery Eliminator Capacitor

John Krizan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so I have a three wire 4 1/2 CYCLE STANDARD head light one wire blue light one power one ground. I burnt out the H3 12 volt 55 watt halogen bulb went to o rileys and pick up another one put it in wont start. Disconnected the headlight bike starts. Disconnected the rear light connected headlight bike runs with headlight vice versa wont run together.Whats going on? Thanks!

Okay, so I have a three wire, 4 1/2 CYCLE STANDARD head light, one wire blue, light, one power one ground. I burnt out the H3 12 volt 55 watt halogen bulb, went to o rileys and pick up another one. Put it in, wont start. Disconnected the headlight bike starts. Disconnected the rear light, connected headlight, bike runs with headlight, vice versa wont run together. Whats going on? Thanks!

I asked Leo about Pamco and having issues starting a bike---and I hate to speak for someone else--but he said that sometimes there is not enough electric to start the bike when the headlight is hooked up direct. I haven't tried it yet but ........

Okay so I have a three wire 4 1/2 CYCLE STANDARD head light one wire blue light one power one ground. I burnt out the H3 12 volt 55 watt halogen bulb went to o rileys and pick up another one put it in wont start. Disconnected the headlight bike starts. Disconnected the rear light connected headlight bike runs with headlight vice versa wont run together.Whats going on? Thanks!

Hi John,
your leap back to the past is not without consequences.
Put the battery back in.

:agree:
I agree with Fred. If you have a PMA with a capacitor.......................get rid of the capacitor and install a good battery. Who came up with the dumb idea to use a capacitor in place of a battery:doh:.

I have only run a capacitor for years and am still on the same one. Like all elecronics, they can still fail. However, If your stator is weak, it wont charge your capacitor enough to start.

I asked Leo about Pamco and having issues starting a bike---and I hate to speak for someone else--but he said that sometimes there is not enough electric to start the bike when the headlight is hooked up direct. I haven't tried it yet but ........
It is hooked up direct. That I did change.
Hi John,
your leap back to the past is not without consequences.
Put the battery back in.
I bought the bike this way. I was hoping to wait till winter to convert it.

It is hooked up direct. That I did change.
I bought the bike this way. I was hoping to wait till winter to convert it.

Hi John,
so you are a P.O.victim rather than a perpetrator.
Perhaps moving the battery install and switch reconfiguration to this Spring would be to your advantage?
BTW, what year XS650 do you have and what's been done to it?
Building that information into a signature line would help us to help you.

Sounds to me like all ya need is a head light switch that turns the light and tail light off to start the thing...then turn them on when it's running
but .....I am guessing....
Bob........

I installed 2 new ground wires, put in a different head light with true high low beam and high low beam switch. Can start the bike with head light off, switch to low beam burnt it out, switch to high beam burnt out high beam. I checked voltage to head light it's running 21 22 VDC to head light at idle.

Early XS650's, 70-79 Standards had 1 20amp fuse............later 78-83 Specials had a 4 bank set of fuses with the main fuse a 20amp and the others 10amp.

Problem here is..................No information about the bike, meaning what year, model, type, (hard-tail, bobbed, original,), weather the wiring is home made, original or any other information that would help people to diagnose and to give advice on. Questions have been ignored, these need to be answered. Ignoring questions, (especially when no real information given), shows a lack of respect. I'm old school and believe in introductions of at least, a summery of the bike and any history that could be relevant to the problems encountered and asked..................A mechanic would ask to see the bike..............we can't so we have to diagnose on information given and that hasn't been forthcoming and by not answering some questions, it t feels like it would be easier to extract hens teeth, than the time it is going to take to help.

Back