Trying to figure out what this is

xs650hacker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Due to bad weather (yeah, snow once again and it's darn near April, gotta love South Dakota!) we aren't roofing anytime soon so back to work on the motor I go.

As I was cleaning all the crud from the left side by the drive chain, I noticed this metal dowel looking thing that was extremely loose and, well, just kinda pulled it out from the engine :banghead:

What is this as I can see it in my Haynes manual but no mention of what it is (there probably is, I just have no idea what the heck it is!) . Possibly tachometer or oil pump? And is it supposed to be loose fitting with no clip to hold it in place?

As soon as I resize the rest of my photos, I'll upload all the parts that I've managed to clean up so far in preparation to put it all back together. Looks like a brand new motor (top-end) so far!

Attachments

• DSCI0182.JPG
    DSCI0182.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCI0183.JPG
    DSCI0183.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCI0184.JPG
    DSCI0184.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 108
Clutch pushrod. It connects the worm drive to engage and disengage the clutch.

The tach drive and oil pump are in the right side case cover. The tach connects to the threaded hole on the top of the right case cover.

Thanks BigJimmy! This isn't supposed to be loose and floating in the wind is it? When I pulled it out, I could see oil seeping out of the hole.

When you put your left side cover back on it will hold the pushrod in place, just make sure you haven't lost the little ball bearing that goes between the pushrod and the clutch actuator - the ball sits in the actuator itself.

And if you start the bike without the pushrod tube in, oil will positively POUR out of that hole. Guess how I know that. :doh: :laugh:

Back