Tube or tube-less on cast wheels?

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi there.

I got myself a cast 19" front rim for my tracker as a rear rim on ebay just now. Now I need a new on/offroad tyre and wondering if I should go with tube or tube-less.

Every now and then you´ll hear about cast rims leaking due to pore.......any ideas??

Thanks/BigBoreSwede

we (me and the guys i ride with) run tubes in everything lol. we have spoke wheels and tubeless tires with tubes in em lol. no issues

If you get a flat on a tube then you must pull the tire off the rim to fix it. Flat on a tubeless, you can get a plug kit or get it plugged... the tubeless tires are more flexible, sidewall etc, im counting on them for suspension on my hardtail..lol.

Make sure the wheel says, "suitable for tubeless tires". If it does not it will leak. Not all wheels can have tubeless. Spokes usually need tubes as well. I prefer a tubeless because of tire selection. Some tires only come in tubeless and you need to have a suitable wheel. It will say it on the wheel.

In general terms, it's not a good idea to run tube's in a tubeless tire. It's better to run the tire as it was designed. Tire companies know what they are doing. That said, I have done it, but it was too long ago to remember why.

When I got my tires for my mag wheels I was told to run tubes because a tube wheel is not designed to hold the sidewall of the tire against the bead, Tubeless wheels have a ridge on the inside of the wheel to hold the tire bead in place. So if you have wheels that require a tube and your not running a tube, it may not leak but if you are turning and hit a bump the bead of the tire may shift in and let all the air out...BAD! But if you had a tube and the same thing happened then the tire would just pop back in place beacuse no air was lost...

I have no proof of this, it is just what I was told by the motorcycle mechanic.

I was also told that there is no problem running a tube on tubeless tires by the same mechanic.

I was told to run tubes because a tube wheel is not designed to hold the sidewall of the tire against the bead, Tubeless wheels have a ridge on the inside of the wheel to hold the tire bead in place.

I was also told that there is no problem running a tube on tubeless tires by the same mechanic.
he told you the truth, you can read about the different rim profiles here...........

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71435

we (me and the guys i ride with) run tubes in everything lol. we have spoke wheels and tubeless tires with tubes in em lol. no issues

I think this is a great idea if it is a tubed or tubeless wheel, based on the reasons below.

When I got my tires for my mag wheels I was told to run tubes because a tube wheel is not designed to hold the sidewall of the tire against the bead, Tubeless wheels have a ridge on the inside of the wheel to hold the tire bead in place. So if you have wheels that require a tube and your not running a tube, it may not leak but if you are turning and hit a bump the bead of the tire may shift in and let all the air out...BAD! But if you had a tube and the same thing happened then the tire would just pop back in place beacuse no air was lost...

he told you the truth, you can read about the different rim profiles here...........

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71435

I cannot imagine it being BAD to run a TUBE in a tubeless tire. Honestly, think about it. What would be the reason? If the tube breaks, so what, the tire is made to run without the tube, and you that would give you extra protection. It would get you to point be, and then you could change the tube when you got around to it, that is, if the valve stayed in place. :laugh:

I asked my buddy about this today. He told me that if you run a tube in a tubeless tire there is the possibility that the tube, inflated, can push (lift) the tubeless tire off the rim. Also, now you have 2 valves and 1 valve hole.

Make sure the wheel says, "suitable for tubeless tires". If it does not it will leak. Not all wheels can have tubeless. Spokes usually need tubes as well. I prefer a tubeless because of tire selection. Some tires only come in tubeless and you need to have a suitable wheel. It will say it on the wheel.

Bull puckey. Old wive's tail regard xs specials. I run them without tubes, and so do people way smarter than me.

John

Umm, it can, if you run too much pressure, but that is true of any tire.....you can also run the tube valve through the hole in the wheel......

Ummm... pull the tubeless valve out of the hole and throw it away.

Now, pull the tube valve through the hole. Whala!

Think about it. a tubed wheel and a tubeless wheel have the hole in basically the same spot on the wheel, one is just connected to the tube and the other is is just connected to the wheel.

I'm not trying to be smart, but why would you buy a tubeless tire and put a tube in it? Your paying for a tire that can be inflated without the use of a tube. i.e. "tubeless".
So you buy a tubeless tire, throw away the stem, then put a tube in it?

My name is Paul and this is between y'all!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am just saying you CAN do it for extra protection for a leaky rim.

I too would probably run the correct tire with the correct rim, but if NEED be, then this is an option.

The OP was worried about the cast rim leaking and depending on the type of tire and wheel he had, I was thinking he may have to put a tubeless tire on a tubed rim and still run a tube.

No worries at all brother, I try to leave my feelings at the door when I get online and only read what you wrote and not READ anything INTO it.

Unless you call me a smart ass dickhead, I am not going to assume you think I am a Smart ass dickhead. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am trying to learn just like everyone else and if I am way off base on ANYTHING, then by all means set me straight, so I am not passing any bad info on that could get someone hurt.

Cheers!

Back