Tubeless Cast Wheel

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
I probably risk a flame war here, but can anyone show me where it says "Tubeless" on their cast wheels? My donor bike was a 1980 with cast wheels and rear disc. I don't see "Tubeless" on there anywhere. I bought some tubeless tires thinking that all the cast wheels from 1979 on were tubeless, but I'm thinking I may have to run tubes in them after all. Thanks!

Kent

you mean on the wheel itself? or on the tire? My 80's ancient old Cheng Shin rear tire says "TUBELESS" on the tire, but I don't see where it (or anything) is stamped into the metal of the wheel.

my 79 didnt say anything on the cast wheels and the tire guy at the shop made me add tubes. saying better safe then sorry.

My 79 special it says "Suitable for Tubeless Tires" on the sprocket side between the spoke that says MT 3x16 (or something close to that) and the spoke that says Japan.

I think the concept about the alloy being to porous is BS. I did check my wheels over and I see no "Suitable for Tubeless Tires" marking, there are no shoulders on the inside of the bead, and the valve stem area has not been machine flat as I have seen on some in other threads. So, either my wheels did not come from a 1980 originally, or not all wheels were being stamped with "Suitable for Tubeless Tires".

Kent

I have a set off an 81 that is stamped "Suitable for Tubeless Tires" but I've yet to find that same marking on some of the other cast wheels I have.

PS. '81 is the year with the drum brake on the cast wheel.

Last edited:
Is the concern over bead shape or whether the alloy is too porous to hold air?

I think the concept about the alloy being to porous is BS. I did check my wheels over and I see no "Suitable for Tubeless Tires" marking, there are no shoulders on the inside of the bead, and the valve stem area has not been machine flat as I have seen on some in other threads. So, either my wheels did not come from a 1980 originally, or not all wheels were being stamped with "Suitable for Tubeless Tires".

Kent
the problem is the rim profile, tubeless rims have the "shoulders" to hold the bead to the rim google WM and MT rims to see the difference in rim profiles

There are pictures posted here somewhere that show the wheels are IDENTICAL. Tubeless motorcycle tires were just becoming available. I've put a lot of miles on the mags not marked tubeless, never had ANY issues. If you search, you'll find the picture, I don't remember who posted it. They are THE SAME. Really. No shit.

Get some valve stems, and drill the holes in the wheels slightly bigger to match the stems. Ride on. :D

I found the thread with pictures (post 15) http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8808&highlight=tubeless+wheels

John

Went downstairs and popped the nasty tire off a wheel to compare, so: here is my "Suitable for Tubeless Tires" 19" front next to my XS400 18" rear that is not marked. Not seeing much difference other than width and diameter...

P3300173.jpg

Edit, looks like proof was already available. Oh well, that tire was about shot anyway.

Thanks for the comparisons, guys. Not having to run tubes is what pushed me toward keeping the mags in the first place. I figured they had to be the same. Especially since the letter I did see of the wheels that had "Suitable for Tubeless Tires" was stamped in instead of cast raised. Maybe they just missed some.

Kent

You know, thinking about it. I bought a new '78 H-D with cast wheels and it came with tubes-- I'm not even sure that tubeless motorcycles existed in '78 so why would earlier cast wheels be marked for tubeless tires?

Anyone know what year tubeless motorcycle tires first became available?

If the profiles of the wheels are the same then it shouldn't be a problem.

As for porous aluminum: in the early days we had the same problem with aluminum car wheels but it was easily solved by painting the inside of the wheel.

You know, thinking about it. I bought a new '78 H-D with cast wheels and it came with tubes-- I'm not even sure that tubeless motorcycles existed in '78 so why would earlier cast wheels be marked for tubeless tires?

Anyone know what year tubeless motorcycle tires first became available?
If the profiles of the wheels are the same then it shouldn't be a problem.

As for porous aluminum: in the early days we had the same problem with aluminum car wheels but it was easily solved by painting the inside of the wheel.

I THINK my 77 Honda 750 SuperSport's Comstar wheels had tubless tires?

A quick Google shows that Metzeler developed the first tubeless motorcycle tire in Europe in 1978. So yeah tubeless tires on bikes were real new at the time. I do know I hated tubes, the damn things are just too easy to pinch, etc.

I don't recall if my 1980's wheels say 'tubeless' but they did not have tubes when I got it. So I am running tubeless and have had no problems.

I remember the porous wheels, VHT used to sell a very thin transparent blue 'wheel seal' paint just for that.

Back