tuning help

Greenmachine

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put mikes xs pwk's on and trying to set the idle mixture. I am doing each cylinder/carb separately adjusting the mixture screw to get the engine idle to speed up or slow down to find the best place to leave it but the idle doesn't seem to speed up turning one way but turning the other it doesn't slow but snuffs out when turned as far as it will go. I'm guessing I need to change the jets but not sure whether to go richer or leaner jets? At the moment it has the jets that it came fitted with but they also come with I size richer and 1 size leaner jets. Also is it just the pilot jet I change or both. The bike has open pipes and pod filters and engine is freshly recond. When I set the mixture screw 1 and half turns out the bike idles ok and has no hesitation at all when snapping the throttle

If you leave the mix screw where the bike responds to throttle the idle screw still won't change the rpm's? I'm not familiar with those carbs but you should check cam chain, valves, timing, then carbs, if you can get it to run safely, do those checks first.

Back