Turn signal indicator riddle defies my logic

jurgenkoppen

Backwoodsfreak
Reaction score
My bike, a 78, fell over on a soft lawn, nothing obvious broke. Only my left turn signals function died on impact, so I checked the bulbs, but they were fine. I reversed the wires connectors in the headlight bucket, the ones coming from the switch going to the rear and front connectors: Now my left signal side work, but the right ones are out. So I figured: must be the switch itself, because from the switch back all systems are "go". I disassembled the switch, and sure enough, the solder joint had separated on the brown cable. I soldered it back on, sure of impending victory, but alas, now there is current to the flasher relay, but it only buzzes on the one side, and works on the other. So I tried a two prong flasher relay which works on my xs11. It works great on the working side, but blows the fuse on the troubled side.
Now if my logic is correct, I would say there is no short on either right or left side, because I can reverse the supply lines from the switch, and make either side work. So the fault which causes the buzz in my old relay, and a blown fuse in the 2prong relay, must be still in the switch? I also disconnected the cancelling unit to eliminate chance of it being the short, but now I am baffled. Any ideas?http://www.xs650.com/forum/images/smilies/shrug.gif

Hi Jurgen,
I did that on MY XS11!
Your 3-prong flasher is a stock Yamaha one and the 2-prong is an electronic one?
I reckon you got a dead short.
The stocker buzzes because the short circuit's huge current is driving it to click super-fast.
The electronic flasher clicks at the same cadence as always until the fuse blows.
Mine shorted because Mr Stupid hooked up the black ground wire instead of the dark brown signal wire.
Most likely your short is a power wire that was cut into when the bike fell over.

Thank you , Gentlemen. OK, I shall wait for daylight and approach the headlight bucket with renewed vigor. Mr. Stupid, Mr. Halfblind, and Mr.Hasty are at times in attendance in these parts, pursuing their dubious aims. So a black connector going into a brown socket could well be the case, and if not, then the wire coming from the switch serving the bad side will be ruthlessly investigated, dismantled or otherwise massaged into submission. I shall give details at the break of noon....Cheers, J

Problem solved, thank you all. When switching the wires around after my solder fix, I did mistake the brown for the black one. The black one, from the switch, was to go to the headlight ground. So my dark chocolate and this black one got exchanged, and hence my flasher buzzed, or popped the fuse. The color is very close, so let it be a cautionary tale. Cheers, J

Back