Turn signal problem....out of ideas??

9c1cap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok this is on a 400 but the sytem is very similar to the 650s with the three pole flasher and self cancelling sytem.
Problem: Right turn signal operatesnormally. Left turn signal does not function, but instead the taillight, tag light, and oil/neutral indicator lamps blink when the left turn is pushed.
So the only previous hacking on this harness was that someone removed the fuse box and hard-wired some in-line fuse holders (ATC). Uncovered all that to check and all is ok there....
What Ive done: Ive replaced the three-pole flasher with a two pole from Mikes and promptly burned it up?? Went and robbed a flasher from my old blazer project(2 pole) and it seems to function normal. Plugged to the Brown and Brown/white poles on the plug. Yellow/Green which goes to the cancelling unit stays open.
I singled out each system I know to be involved by unplugging each thing one at a time; indicator lamps, tail light, tag light, cancelling unit, relay. Problem still persists when each one is unplugged. All grounds have been checked and rechecked.

So my question is: What now? Is there any other thing to look for before tearing into the harness itself to look for broken wires? Anything else that may be related to this or tied into the turn signals that could cause this??

Only other issue I know of is the lamps in the guages dont work but I havent pursued that yet, and dont see it being related? Thanks for any replies this is the last thing before I push this bike out the door!!

Craig

It seems like the only thing that should link those items together in any way would be the grounds. Have you tried isolating the dark brown (on XS's) left turn signal positive wire directly from the bar switch harness and connecting it to a signal to see if it lights? It might not flash with only one light but should at least light up. That would tell you if the switch itself is good. If that works run a wire from that brown to the rear signal as well and see if they flash. If isolating the circuit works it might be time to dig into the harness.

Back