turn the bike on and it instantly revs

estewart

XS650 Member
Reaction score
so i rode over to a friends house and as soon as i get there i notice fuel dripping out of the back of my carb, i figure no problem its done it before and its an easy fix, i take them off and tweak with the floats and needle, put it back on and it stopped leaking.

when i go and kick the bike over (start it) it revs like crazy. i stopped it and checked my idle set screw and backed it off, found my vacuum line unhooked and plugged it in. started it again and it still revved, this time i took my pod filters off and checked to see what was going on. both butterflys are closed along with the slides. throttle cable moves freely, and i went ahead and unscrewed the idle set screw as an over adjustment. but it still revs. the odd thing is when i put the choke on, the rpm drops to a near perfect idle.

it has never done this before and and has me stumped. i figure it could be a vacuum leak but haven't thoroughly checked it, so i'll be doing that next.
any other ideas on where to go and what to do next?

mine does it after warm up. new boots, capped the vaccuum ports. dont know. sound like vaccuum leak to me

Don't know which carbs you have but an out of adjustment synch screw can hold one side open. Narrow it down, pull one plug wire then the other (keep a grounded plug in them.) see which side does what.

thanks for the responses, turned out it was a vacuum leak, i took the carbs off and cleaned the mating surface of the intake manifolds and replaced the vacuum hose that goes to the petcock, i also noticed my vacuum port cap was showing cracks in it, replaced it and it was good to go.

I had a cb750 that did that. It scared the shit out of me with straight pipes!

Posted via Mobile

Back