Turn, turn , turn or The Cat's in the Cradle?

Goldy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, over the years I have held out the hope that if everything went as I dreamed that someday I would pass the old XS650 along to my son. That day is rapidly approaching. Spoke with the ex this morning and we agreed that the little cafe racer I built for him two years ago is just too small for him. He is in his last year of high school and seems to be doing exceptionally well in his studies for a change (maybe I should have sent him to live with his mother long ago)...so I guess in a couple of weeks I will deliver the old war horse to him as a surprise early grad present. It has almost always treated me well over the past 33 years and I have made piles and piles of great memories on it, so although I will be sad to see it go, it will still be in the family...I hope he enjoys it as much as I have and who knows, maybe he'll keep it long enough to pass it along to one of his kids???
002-21.jpg

Thanks for story.

I was going to ask you what you will ride since you're turning the XS over to your son. Then I checked out you profile page. Nice Bikes ! Impressive/intresting background. Check it out guys. (maybe others are aware and it's just cause I'm kindof new around here).

Anyway, maybe the question still stands What will be your daily rider?

Daily rider?...all of 'em, no favorites. I take 'em out on turns; don't believe in hiding them away in the rec room.

My parents gave me a few things too soon for my level of maturity at the time. And I was older than my last year of high school. So the result was not what was intended. Careful careful.

I won't be chopping the special. She's gonna be a resto- mod. Performance only. Bars and mirrors change, and upgrade the brakes and suspension. Other than that, pretty much stock.

Last edited:
as long as he promises not to chop it up...

Chopped? Its already been done. Before he was born it was chopped six ways from Sunday...rigid frame, girder forks, prism tank, you name it. Drove it like that in various incarnations for over 12 years until I had a really scarey accident with it and gradually started heading back toward semi stock form, eventually settling on the current configuration. I don't think he'll do much with it except drive it.

Back