Twin daughters of different fathers

izatso

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Izatso here....

First of all, I am a new member, and this will be my first post of a build here, and my first XS650 build.

Secondly, I would like to thank fellow member Catskillmtncustoms for the inspiration and helpful answers to some very dumb (I'm sure) questions.

I was also fortunate enough to have a friend that made gift to me of a 1982 XS frame and swingarm which makes this whole project possible.

My beginning:
I recently purchased a sweet 1980 XS650 Special II in remarkable shape with only 7648 miles on it and although not a "purest" I intend to save everything but engine and electrics to put the bike back as it was....

Additional parts are still arriving, but the idea here is to attach a 2012 R6 Swingarm to the frame along with Ducati 53mm Inverted forks, so....here we go.....

#1.jpg

Second photo is of the donated frame, for the most part de-tabbed and ready to make cuts:

#2.jpg

and.....third photo:
Roughcut frame awaiting plugs and modifications:

#3.jpg

For the time being, this is ALL the progress I have made, and I am (ANXIOUSLY) waiting on my frame books to get here to start making my calculations....

Thanks for looking,
Iz

......along with Ducati 53mm Inverted forks

Do you intend to use the Ducati alloy wheel or go spoked.

I started down that route using 916 forks and yokes.
The positive is that as the Ducati stem is screwed into the yoke and it is relatively simple to mate the threaded portion with a turned down XS stem.
However, the issue I came up against was the callipers clearing the spokes.

According to those who know the way forward is to use a hub from a Sports Classic. Hen and teeth spring to mind so I have moved on to GSXR forks and a Cognito Moto hub.

Alloy wheels, I have already made rotors to fit the 320mm standard 62mm calipers....wheels are from a Yamaha V-Max on front and an Aprilia rear....

Or...I also happen to also have the rear wheel from a 2012 R6....Haven't decided yet....

I didn't like the Ducati trees, so I am machining out the leg bores and turning a new stem for a set of Buell M2 trees.

Hopefully all will fit together nicely....

Back