Twisted Sister

Rented Mule

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the bolt/stud securing the passenger foot peg to the frame is a frame casting bolt or a stand alone bolt?
I was in the process of removing the passenger foot pegs in order to gain additional room to rebuild the rear brake system and just general frame cleaning. I had no problems removing the right peg, however, the left peg was a different story. I tried removing the acorn nut with a ratchet and socket that I had easily removed the right peg with. Thinking that the nut was just being difficult I switched over to a breaker bar and proceeded to twist the nut off. After further inspection I could see the acorn nut had been cross threaded from a prior installation.
I'm now faced with the task of either removing the stud (somehow?) or fabricating something to replace the broken stud.
Any ideas?
[

Attachments

• F481F48B-076D-4848-975F-9ED6C82A9BA1.jpeg
    F481F48B-076D-4848-975F-9ED6C82A9BA1.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 121
  • DC6848ED-16A0-4DA8-9918-38263F0E3A5C.jpeg
    DC6848ED-16A0-4DA8-9918-38263F0E3A5C.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 122
Does anyone know if the bolt/stud securing the passenger foot peg to the frame is a frame casting bolt or a stand alone bolt?
I was in the process of removing the passenger foot pegs in order to gain additional room to rebuild the rear brake system and just general frame cleaning. I had no problems removing the right peg, however, the left peg was a different story. I tried removing the acorn nut with a ratchet and socket that I had easily removed the right peg with. Thinking that the nut was just being difficult I switched over to a breaker bar and proceeded to twist the nut off. After further inspection I could see the acorn nut had been cross threaded from a prior installation.
I'm now faced with the task of either removing the stud (somehow?) or fabricating something to replace the broken stud.
Any ideas?
[
It's a machined part, welded on to the frame. Your best bet, in my opinion, will be drill and tap, and install a stud.

Any ideas?
[

I am guessing here --without having looked at my bike how it is manufactured
That thread is rather large .. So it would require rather high force to twist it off
like that ....
( If not cracked before )
So high force that it would be difficult to fixate it. That strong that it Would not come loose when the
Acorn nut gets stuck.
That round part has been in a machine for milling the flat surface for fixating the footpeg.
So I would guess that when it is set up into a metal cutting machine .. at the same time the thread was cut.

Since it sticks out there --- there is the Possibility to hacksaw a slot and try with a impact driver ..
Without success if it is cut ..
I would then probably file it down --- flat with the surface ---drill a hole by hand ( carefully ) and thread it -- is it tap and die in English
Using a bolt from the outside
Worth mentioning is that I have worked ca 4 years with hand held drills .. But if careful drilling getting it straight..
And in steps larger and larger drills ---it is doable.
The bolt used could be of a little higher strength grade if nervous over that and a little smaller diameter perhaps
If smaller the filing down perhaps is not necessary

Since it sticks out there --- there is the Possibility to hacksaw a slot and try with a impact driver ..
Again.... it's a solid billet, machined to shape. There is no stud there to slot... it's all just one solid piece. This is from an earlier year, but it's the same.... I checked one a few yrs back for someone else.

PXL_20210206_000440493.jpg

PXL_20210206_000502018.jpg

My first plan was to weld a nut onto what was left of the stud and try again wrenching it off. But after Jim’s technical assistance I realize the welding option was not going to work. So, I’ll take Jan_P’s recommendation and drill out the stud and retap it. Thanks for all the help.

I recently cut the rear clip off one for a hardtail. I kept the rear clip for this reason. My cousins bike has a bad stud. She also has a cafe racer style so the seat loop might be needed as well.

EAA70482-A754-4213-A9A0-A4DE9A491704.jpeg 7B53630D-CC79-47F0-8A87-6C15629B030A.jpeg 42107B91-EC17-4C4E-89E1-0E4C553EAB65.jpeg
The foot peg issue has been resolved. It isn’t very pretty to look at but my problem covered up nicely.
I filed the broken stud flat with the support arm. I then made several unsuccessful attempts to center the drill bit but it kept wandering out of the pilot hole. I gave up and accepted where the bit finally settled in. When the required 20mm depth was reached I then proceeded to tap the hole and insert the new stud. With the foot peg tightened securely to the support arm I called the self induced problem fixed.
Thanks again all for sharing your knowledge and insight helping me resolve this problem.

Last edited:
Back