two motors, NO CONTACT BREAKER! NEED HELP!

lgaston

Gaston
Reaction score
Hey,
I have two 82 XS650s this is my first build. I have to motors and today started overhauling the top end of one. i took the cam end covers off and noticed that there is no contact breaker. i decided to check out my second motor. same thing, no contact breaker! I saw this bike run the day i picked it up. I understand that the XS650 has a cam based ignition but i don't really know much about it other than that. How is it possible for there to not be a contact breaker? especially when i have seen this bike run. Is there another type of ignition that this bike may have? :banghead:

igaston,

The '80's models did not have points. They had an electronic ignition system called a TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition) that used a magnetic sensor on the crank shaft.

Yes, so what you're seeing is normal. There are no points in an '82.

Hey,
I have two 82 XS650s this is my first build. I have to motors and today started overhauling the top end of one. i took the cam end covers off and noticed that there is no contact breaker. i decided to check out my second motor. same thing, no contact breaker! I saw this bike run the day i picked it up. I understand that the XS650 has a cam based ignition but i don't really know much about it other than that. How is it possible for there to not be a contact breaker? especially when i have seen this bike run. Is there another type of ignition that this bike may have? :banghead:

The 80 to 83 engines used a TCI. That's a transistor controlled ignition. It is controled by a small magnet on the alternator rotor and a pick-up coil on the stator housing. No points used.

This is like that scene from "Airplane" where everybody lines up to smack the hysterical woman. Lets get some more people in here to tell him again...LOL

the picture in my manual was all "take this really complicated looking thing out" and I'm all "AHHH I don't have one of those complicated looking things WTF!!!"

Back