two to one intake TM34 carb question

Mattk11

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

New to the site here, just traded some guy a TW200 i owned for a junkyard modded 1980 xs650 special. Mechanically all there just kinda ugly. Starts on first kick, good compression, rebuilt engine, idles all day. The bike came with all the stock parts, but on the bike currently is a TM34 flatslide carb which reaaaaly rips. I did a plug chop and the plugs seamed fine, a little lighter discoloration on the tip but looked fine and felt fine while at speed. The acceleration however feel wrong; there is very little action between 1/8 turn of the gas and 1/2 turn and all the action is 3/4 + turn. The main jet in there currently is a 210, and i ordered 2 sizes down thinking that the shaky feeling is the main jet. Also when i am off the throttle, the bike seems to shake around a little. Need some guidance from the pros!

Attachments

• IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 216
Reducing the size of the mains is a good first step, the 210 is out of range. But your trouble is occurring at small throttle openings, and I wouldn't want to make even a wildass guess as to what's needed without a complete jet list: slide cutaway, pilot jet, needle jet (atomizer), and needle. Guys have reported success with TM34s with jetting very similar to the typical baseline for the VM34. Click the Tech button and find the link to the VM section of the XS650 Garage USA Carb Guide and do a few searches for TM34 specific information; what you need is here, you just have to go to the very small effort of finding it. Your single carb feeds only one cylinder at a time, so jetting should be very close to what works with dual carburetors.

Back