TX650 ('73)

73TX650blueflake

XS650 Member
Reaction score
This bike has not been run in 10 years....removed carb assembly, cleaned (rebuild kit used from MikesXS), reattached & now is leaking fuel any hints?
past owner removed mechanism to aid in pulling lever to start bike & replaced with standard cover on head. He states it still starts by pulling lever....is this true?? Any help/guidance is appreciated.
I love the blue flake color too...….& it's a great addition to my growing collection of Yamaha's (most from '76)

Yes the lever acts like a starter button the switch is on the RH control powers the solenoid. Ooh we love the 73's! Pics, we gotta see pics!
Could be leaky floats, dirt from gas tank, old lines getting on float valve seats.

Yes the lever acts like a starter button the switch is on the RH control powers the solenoid. Ooh we love the 73's! Pics, we gotta see pics!
Could be leaky floats, dirt from gas tank, old lines getting on float valve seats.
I cleaned carbs & reset floats to factory position......hoping to get a diagram of how hoses connect between the 2 carbs. Is there a source for this?? My manual doesn't show this :(

I cleaned carbs & reset floats to factory position......hoping to get a diagram of how hoses connect between the 2 carbs. Is there a source for this?? My manual doesn't show this :(
That's a beauty!
This should help
txcarbs.JPG

Yeah! That looks like a nice ‘un!

Very nice looking bike! I can’t remember if your ‘73 carburetors have those little 90 degree elbows for the hose that connects the fuel bowls, like my ‘72 does. If so, they originally had a little dipped loop of hose that connected them. The original had a spring covering over that hose, I have since replaced it with Tygon.
3AD0D69E-42D9-4855-ABA6-38EAFEC942D2.jpeg CC961AB2-0169-4A6A-ADB6-47704DFEC664.jpeg

And yes, the previous owner was right, even without the compression release, your starter motor will spin and start your motor just fine!

Last edited:
Great to know (mailman) I have the compression cover in a parts bin but none of the internal components (that sit inside the cover are present). From what I have seen/read the XS '72 carbs are identical to the '73.....It's unfortunate that these parts were also given to me in a box, so impossible to know how these 2 carbs were connected (again, the original manual doesn't show much). Thanks for the photos.....as these are extremely helpful!

If you used the aftermarket replacement float needle and seat assemblies from those rebuild kits, they may be the source of your leaks. many times they're bad right out of the box. It's best you use original float needle and seat assemblies. They're still available from Yamaha and not too expensive. It should be a one time replacement and they should last longer than you have the bike .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=fd26ae284c4921f8d5f79b75a5fd16fb04e1ecb3

thanks for that suggestion, "5-twins"......also curious where you might have purchased rubber (tires) from for this style bike. Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Back