TX650 - good buy for a project?

voelser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've come across a 1973 TX650 I would like to try and buy and do up as a second bike to ride around town. I've been doing some research and found that it is one of the less common ones and that from '74 onwards there were some significant frame design changes.

However, I was still wondering what the general consensus was on whether this would be a good buy, not so much in the money sense, but more as a practicality: is it a good enough base, or am I better off with a slightly later model?

Note that this is not for hardcore riding, just around town, possibly two-up.

Cheers!

It's a fine bike. It may get a bit loose in hard riding, but as a around town cruiser it's great.
Be sure the swing arm bushings and steering head bearings are in good shape. This will help keep it tight in the twisties.
Leo

Hey leo,

Thanks for your reply. The bike is a tad rough at the moment, which is ok as it makes me feels less guilty about stripping it bare and getting rid of the parts I dislike. So not so worried bushings and bearings as I will probably replace all of those anyway.

Just trying to figure out if it is a good base to work from (as long as the engine and the frame are ok).

Back