TX750 swingarm

Roy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are tx750 swingarms special? I have seen them mentioned several times in various posts. Thanks

Heavier construction.... . .. less twist. I believe slight longer... road race boys like them... Had one on a Special.... .. lower the front forks..one inch... bigger rear drum brake with th4e Tx.. all bolt on... bike handled very well.... a piece of cake to center stand it... 😎😎

Yes, the 750 swingarm is the same size (length and width) as the 650 one, but has one important difference - the tubes are about ¼" bigger in diameter. This makes it much stiffer and it's a simple bolt-in swap .....

Swingarms.jpg

There is one small issue you may encounter though. The 650 arm is dimpled on the side for clearing the brake pedal linkage .....

StockTubeDimple.jpg

The 750 arm doesn't have this but usually just flipping the pin around that attaches the brake rod to the pedal bracket is enough to provide the needed clearance. You want the head of the pin on the inside, the cotter pin end facing out .....

RearBrakePivot.jpg

Like I said, it's tight in there, but on both of the ones I installed, it did fit .....

BrakeRodClearance.jpg

If more clearance was needed, I had planned on bending the bracket out away from the swingarm a little, but I didn't need to.

Thanks to all for the information. Now I know. My xs1-b could use some help in the handling department that's for sure. When I owned my original back in 71, I didn't realize how bad the handling was.

Keep in mind, the TX750 also has a more rigid frame. There is a cross tube welded in near the swingarm.

1705766372258.png

The XS650 design is certainly different.

The swingarm upgrades look cool and I am sympathetic to doing them. I remain unsure if it actually gains anything.

XS650D frame
1705766726863.png

Maybe in the real world there is no difference. I won't pretend I'm an engineer.

I'm not sure the TX750 swingarm would fit an XS1. I think the early swingarms ('70-'73) are shorter, maybe narrower too, at least at the back where the wheel mounts. I think the pivot area is the same so it would fit there, I'm just not sure about clearance farther back. Maybe gggGary can help with this? He may have some loose early and late swingarms he could compare side by side.

Parts supplies are decreasing here-abouts.
yeah about everything on the early 70-73 frames is lighter flexier than the later 74 up parts.
:twocents: Don't know what your 71 is right now but if it's anywhere near stock leave it alone, aside from clearances, maint, bearings, bushings, etc. Lot easier to start with a later bike (78-up) for better handling.

I'm not sure the TX750 swingarm would fit an XS1. I think the early swingarms ('70-'73) are shorter, maybe narrower too, at least at the back where the wheel mounts. I think the pivot area is the same so it would fit there, I'm just not sure about clearance farther back. Maybe gggGary can help with this? He may have some loose early and late swingarms he could compare side by side.
No, I thought that.
I had to hunt down a '70 to '73 Swing Arm for the first XS1 frame that I bought, despite having a fair pile of '74 onwards ones.
IIRC the width is the same at the front, but the 74 arm is longer and wider at the axle end.
And the shock mounts are further apart too.
So the TX750 might still be possible, but with a few modifications

Yes, the TX750 arm makes the perfect "sleeper". You can't really even tell it's been changed and is different unless it's parked next to a 650 with the stock swingarm.

I've swapped one into both of my (later) 650s. It made a real difference on my '78 Standard, not as much of one on my '83 Special. I'm thinking the slightly more laid down rear shocks on the Special triangulate better and make for a stiffer swingarm to frame configuration.

I used it on both of mine because it was easier than trying to adapt a 650 one. I've grown used to it I guess and don't mind the look .....

Peashooter.jpg

83ExhaustDone5.jpg

I fitted aTX750 s/arm to my 1978SE. The housing for the torque arm had to be relocated from under to on top of the r/h arm, and the chain guard attachment needed adapting on the l/h arm. I can't really claim it has transformed the handling, my seat of pants hasn't really noticed much difference.

Parts supplies are decreasing here-abouts.
yeah about everything on the early 70-73 frames is lighter flexier than the later 74 up parts.
:twocents: Don't know what your 71 is right now but if it's anywhere near stock leave it alone, aside from clearances, maint, bearings, bushings, etc. Lot easier to start with a later bike (78-up) for better handling.

Attachments

• 20230928_200507.jpg
    20230928_200507.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 32
Good morning all. Are the internal dimensions the same between the two?
I'm running a rather large rear tire and it's pretty tight as is.
Always had a wobble at high speeds in the turns, hoping this would help on my 75.

Back