Swingarm powder coat or rattle can?

MountainXS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm in process on replacing the stock bushings with bronze on my 1980 xs650 Special and I noticed a bit of bare metal near the swingarm pivot point. Since I've got it off, I figured it should be addressed. Any thoughts on having it powder coated vs stripping the paint myself and hitting it with simple black caliper paint?

Thanks in advance for the sage wisdom.

IMG_1870.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 30
The answer to your question is really dependent on what you are trying to achieve. Get if back on the road quick?; scuff it up a bit and shoot some rattlecan black at it and you're done. Part of a resto program/project?; strip all the existing paint, blast or otherwise remove all the rust, thoroughly degrease and then either powder coat or quality paint. I wouldn't powder coat with the new busing in place unless the bore was completely degreased before you installed the bushings (and then you installed them completely dry).

The high build enamel black rattle cans do a good job right up there with spray gun work.

1690399267950.png

Great call. Very much not a full resto. More of a survivor that I'd love to get looking good from 10 feet. Maybe after riding it for a season I'll dig in and refine it further.

Thanks!
BTW, after you featheredge sand the paint edges and clean thoroughly, shoot some self etching primer on the bare metal before you go to paint. Cheap insurance.

Consider the environment the piece operates in..... if the bike is a keeper..... Powder coat 😎

All stellar info. I'll go the self etching primer route before painting with Rustoleum glossy black. I'll report back with findings.

And interesting hypothesis on the battery/carb leak. Bike had been sitting for ages in a garage. PO had it stashed away with some ancient gas still in the tank/carbs. Both have now been thoroughly cleaned.

Thanks!

Back