Type A can chain tensioner has cracked rubber dampener. Help

Metal

XS650 Custom shop
Reaction score
IMG_20140829_182104.jpgHi guys.
I'm moving along on a full rebuild of my 1970 xs1. I went to tighten the cam chain using the tensioner and I noticed a lot more travel then I was used to seeing. So I backed off the tensioner and removed the whole assembly. My cam chain tensioner is a type A. The rubber cushion dampener block between the tensioner and the push rod had cracked from old age. I need a new cushion. Where can I find a replacement? I think I could carve a new one out of some urithane if I had to. Just don't have any idea what derometer the original rubber is or where to get urethane.

Last edited:
So in the end I gave up looking and decided to make my own dampener from tooling plastic. I just drilled out the rivets. The rivets are much bigger than the look. 7.2mm. I recommend starting with a small drill bit then stepping up. I then took the old dampener and traced it's profile and sanded out my new dampener to a snug fit. Now I have to find a way to rivet the unit back together. I'm off to the hardware store to find a solution that's low profile. I'll let you know what I find.IMG_20140831_123141.jpg

I went to ace hardware and found some 5/16 threaded alloy spacers that were very close to the length needed to hold the unit together. Then for clearance I just used some low profile Allan screws 10-32 1/4 long. I drilled the old rivet holes out to 5/16 and sanded down the new spacers length so they were just a tad short. Use some thread lock and put the hole thing back together. Once installed it worked perfectly. Hope this helps others. Dan.

Much better solution than mine,I basically added some liquid rubber to mine .!
Reminds me I must take it out and have a look to see if has survived

Back